pellet stove won't light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frank12345678910

Feb 9, 2011
Northeast
I have a model 35 Osburn pellet stove from SBI. For awhile now when I would go to start the stove, the pellets would feed into the burn pot normally but, the ignitor didn't seem to heat up enough to actually get the pellets to start burning. Now the ignitor element wont heat up at all. I'm guessing I need to replace the ignitor but is there a chance that it could be a control board issue or one of the sensors malfunctioned? Thanks.

frank12345678910 said:
I have a model 35 Osburn pellet stove from SBI. For awhile now when I would go to start the stove, the pellets would feed into the burn pot normally but, the ignitor didn't seem to heat up enough to actually get the pellets to start burning. Now the ignitor element wont heat up at all. I'm guessing I need to replace the ignitor but is there a chance that it could be a control board issue or one of the sensors malfunctioned? Thanks.

If you can get to the igniter, with the stove off, cold, and unplugged.

Disconnect the igniter and using a multimeter measure its resistance. It should be less than 100 ohms but not less than about 35.

If it is 0 the fuse is also likely blown, if it is off scale the other way then the igniter is open.

In both of the above cases you need to replace the igniter.

Status
Not open for further replies.