Pellet Stoves - How Quick is your fire and what is your heat temp on medium?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

It seems that we all agree that the best way to measure heat output is with the old IR Thermometer.

So Let's compare?

This US Stove American Harvest Multi-Fueler # 6041 Lights the fire in 4 Mins!

With the 200 CFM draft fan set to high (Level 9) and the room blower to about medium. (Level 6)

Took out my gun and from 12" inches away measure almost 300 Deg F

So how quick is your fire and what is your heat temp on medium?

Attachments

• USAMLev3HeatGun (1)sc.JPG
    USAMLev3HeatGun (1)sc.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 94
  • USAMLev3HeatGun (2)sc.jpg
    USAMLev3HeatGun (2)sc.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 91
I maintain the only good data would be air temp, NOT surface temp
I agree when it comes to most pellet stoves. It depends on what you are trying to measure. You would want air temp to measure convection heat output. To measure radiation heat output surface temp would be important.

Having said that some pellet stoves do put out a fair amount of radiant heat as well.

IR measures surface temp, I would use a Thermocouple.. Measuring the surface temp is not a good way to measure. IMO.

Measuring the air temp 1" away from the end of the tube or exit is where I measure from. With a Cole Parmer T/C

Heat depends on the pellet for my beast. Medium heat surface temp is over 400ºF on average, But I rather use air temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.