Pellet Vent Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjs777_fzr

Feeling the Heat
I've had a pellet stove sitting around with no place to go - the house layout is very difficult to place - given I already have a wood stove on the new addition portion of the house. Okay well it was new in 2006 and I'm still working on it...so its still new to me - where does the time go ?

Anyways I finally decided to just install in the old part of the house - in the living room.
The wall on the left of the stove will be demo'd and become the entrance to the downstairs family room (a work in progress).

Anyways I started on this yesterday and got closer to being finished today. I still have to go find a vertical cap. I did the best I could given the tough interior layout and the wall spaces I had to work with. So this is perfect from afar but far from perfect :)
Someday I'd like to cut out the rug and build a nice tile hearth. I'm adding it my list of things to do.

As you'll see the stove is a small Englander model and I used Simpson 3" pipe.
I still have to go over the pieces with some fresh stove bright spray paint - I have to do it when the wife is at work then claim I have no idea where that foul odor came from.
And I still need to go and install the OAK - maybe tomorrow.

Reactions: raybonz
intall looks great but you may have been better served using 4" pipe.you are going to be way over on the recommended evl of 15.you have a lot of elbows in that set up.
90 deg turn =5pts
45 deg turn =3pts
every 1ft horizontal=1pt
every 1ft vertical=0.5pts
with the 5 turns you have in that setup you are already at 21pts and you havnt figured in you vert and horiz yet.i think the stove will have a tough time venting with that configuration.all of that vertical run will help some

Excellent photos! I take it you did not snap them with your cellphone?

Photos look great. But having that may 45°'s and 90°'s with a 3" system is gonna hurt.

Your way over the EVL. Some Manufacturers list a 45° as 2.5 ft of EVL some do 3 ft.

Either way, corkman is right.

What is the exact ft of horizontal and vertical?

Why did you go all the way to the top? You only need 3' of rise (interior has that already). Outside, you only need to above the window (left in pic) by 1 foot. Then an cap or a 90° will get you the recommended away from the house.

It may work well. It may not. But going by the manual. It is way over. Mike Holton would be able to help you the most. He is Senior tech at Englander and goes by Stoveguy2esw here. Great guy. Great help...

Photos look great. But having that may 45°'s and 90°'s with a 3" system is gonna hurt.

Your way over the EVL. Some Manufacturers list a 45° as 2.5 ft of EVL some do 3 ft.

Either way, corkman is right.

What is the exact ft of horizontal and vertical?

Why did you go all the way to the top? You only need 3' of rise (interior has that already). Outside, you only need to above the window (left in pic) by 1 foot. Then an cap or a 90° will get you the recommended away from the house.

It may work well. It may not. But going by the manual. It is way over. Mike Holton would be able to help you the most. He is Senior tech at Englander and goes by Stoveguy2esw here. Great guy. Great help...

Thanks fellas for the comments - although I didnt think I was doing too bad - so it's nice get seasoned opinions here. I guess I'm not up to speed on the 'cost' of the 90's and 45's.
Where do I find the 'cost' or 'points' yall mentioned ? I googled it for about 5 minutes last night and didnt come up with anything (including hearth wiki).

I went up above the roof line because I have dealt with soot deposits on my yellow siding in the past - there's no way I'm dealing with that again.

If I am too long with 3" - how does one know it is a problem ? I've got it running now on low (#2) and seems to be doing nice. Does the englander 25-PDVC have some sort of electronics that would spit out a code if it was not drafting within tolerances ?

Like I said thanks for the comments - its appreciated.

Starting from the stove here's what I have in order :
(1) T
(4) 1 footers
(1) 90
(2) 1 footers
(1) 90
(2) 3 footers
(1) 45
(1) 1 footer
(1) 45
(1) 3 footer
(1) cap (not yet installed).

The "points" you are referring to, is the EVL. Anything over a 15' EVL should be moved to 4" to alleviate any air issues.

You didn't note what was Horizontal or Vertical in the above post. But here is a guideline. Add it up. Your WAY over the 15'. With the T and 2- 90°'s your at 15'.

Every 1 ft of Vert is. = 1/2 ft
Every 1 ft of horiz is. = 1 ft
Every 90° or cleanout T = 5 ft
Every 45° (some vary) = 2.5 ft

Your somewhere near 25' depending on what the total horiz and vert is. Just 90°'s, 45°'s, and the T is 20' EVL then add your vert and horiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.