Pellet Vent Pipe Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2010
Southern NH
Hello,
I am looking at different vent pipe for my 1st install of my Pellet stove, is Selkirk Metalbestos Pipe Class B 3" vent pipe good for this?

Northeaster2010 said:
Hello,
I am looking at different vent pipe for my 1st install of my Pellet stove, is Selkirk Metalbestos Pipe Class B 3" vent pipe good for this?
no, gotta be Lvent by code which has interior ss pipe. b vent has interior AL pipe

or PL, like blimp says, S.S. inner, very important.

Selkirk makes a good pellet vent pipe, but as mentioned, it needs to be the proper one.

The newest offerings of pellet vent have silicone O rings at each end to seal the combustion gases.

This is supposed to stop the need to silicone seal the joints.

My last install had the O rings and I ended up using a wrap of adhesive back aluminum tape on each joint.

Had a couple spots that still seeped a bit and I could smell smoke once in a while.

The older style pellet vent did not use any internal seals and it required gooping each joint to stop leaks.

Snowy

Find a dealer in your area that sells the Excel pipe and spend the extra money. It will be easier to install. You will sleep well knowing it was done right, and you will likely never have a leak.

Thanks for the help I guess I'm going with Simpson Dura-Vent.

Selkirk is good stuff.... I prefer it over Simpson. But anything you use must be pellet approved...

Status
Not open for further replies.