Pellet Venting and EVL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ibil4u

Sep 13, 2010
New York
I am considering having a Harman P68 installed. My installer wants to include two 45 degree elbows in the venting to avoid the ice dam on the roof. In reading about Equivalent Vertical Lengths, the configuration that the installer is recommending will have an EVL of 17 feet. I've read that anything over 15 feet would require switching to 4 inch piping. How strict is this rule of thumb? Am I OK with 3 inch piping or should I insist he install 4 inch piping? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If there is any doubt just go with 4". My EVL is easily within reach of 3" pipe but I went with 4". When comparing my experience with others that I read of I find that my stove requires far less cleaning than those using smaller pipes. I can burn 5 tons each season and only bother to perform a real cleaning at the end of season. I believe that with smaller piping I'd be cleaning my pipe and exhaust blower every 1 or 2 tons.

My Quadrafire dealer won't even sell 3" pipe because it causes too many issues for him.

Thanks CNC. That is probably the best way to go for piece of mind. Is there any downside to using 4 inch pipe other than some additional cost?

None that I'm aware of.

One more thing to think about is cleanouts as you plan out your system. I have an "out then up" system and I initially had a tee with a cleanout at the bottom. This allowed me to clean the vertical leg but not the horizontal leg heading back to the stove. I swapped out that tee for a 4-way with double cleanouts which makes cleaning day much easier for me.

Will the install be going thru the roof or just out and up?

my pipe run is officially a story and a half (one full floor, and then the roof pitch / to where the chimney comes out about a foot or so abouve the roof level. that puts it right around 15 feet, and they installed 4" pipe for me as well, straight up.

briansol said:
my pipe run is officially a story and a half (one full floor, and then the roof pitch / to where the chimney comes out about a foot or so abouve the roof level. that puts it right around 15 feet, and they installed 4" pipe for me as well, straight up.

cant hurt. the four is better flow than the three will give you!!!!

ibil4u said:
Krooser-the piping will be through the ceiling, attic and roof. Any concerns? Thanks.

Not really... I prefer a simpler install thru the wall but I don't like a lot of holes in my roof, either. Cheaper, too and I'm a cheapskate!

If done correctly it should work well for you.

We WILL needs pix....

Status
Not open for further replies.