Pellet Venting Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hate2BuyOil

Oct 7, 2012
I am new to this forum and pellet heating. I am installing a Harman XXV in a corner application (Pellet1). My original plan was to vent outside horizontally at 45 degrees from the stove which seemed pretty straight forward. The problem is that there is a stud (of course) right at the point where the thimble needs to go through the wall (Pellet2). To get around the stud I am thinking of using a 90 elbow off of the appliance adapter and then a 45 after that to get me into the middle of the stud cavity. I have calculated the EVL for that setup and it looks like it would be ok. Is this a workable option or am I overlooking something?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Byron in So. NH

Attachments

• pellet1.jpg
    pellet1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Pellet2.jpg
    Pellet2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 194
Every time I run into a stud, I cut it back 1.5 inches bigger on top & bottom than is specified by thimble clearances. I then run a pair of horizontal framing members - 2x4 or 2x6 whatever's in there - & screw them into the studs that are to each side of (& into) cutout in the one I removed. Then I screw two studs vertically between the two horizontals again maintaining specified clearances . This creates a structurally sound "box" to mount your thimble in. If you measure correctly & cut accurately, you will be able to conceal the the work with the thimble finish trim covers...HTH...

You should be able to go with the 90 degree right off the back of the stove. I would suggest that you also insert a 'T' with an end cap so you can access the piping for easier cleaning. Here is a picture of my setup which was installed by the dealer. Best of luck.

Pellet Stove Venting - Copy.jpg

Mike,

Your setup looks like a winner. The adapter tee should put me right where I need to be plus give me a better cleanout option. I guess I was thinking more about trying to use all of the vent pipe I have purchased instead of working the problem through from scratch.

Thanks,

Byron

Glad I could help. I'll chalk this one up for the dealer, I just observed but I remember him saying he was putting in the T with the end cap so it would be easy for me to access and clean out, which he was right. Really comes in handy in the dead of winter. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.