pellet vs wood insert??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vicker

Nov 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
looking to buy an insert for the 1st time.anybody ever have both types? besides the automation of a pellet stove whats the benefit over a wood insert? do you still get the same fireplace ambiance youd get from a wood insert as ive never seen a pellet insert in action?
thnx

If you can get cord wood for free, pellets are probably not the way to go. If you have to buy your fuel, pellets don't look so bad. I read pellets are cleaner (fill the hopper) and store in a smaller space. Pellet stoves inserts do not work without power, wood stoves do.

I have had both. I think pellets are a lot cleaner, not as much work, cutting stacking moving etc... Dump a bag of pellets in and turn it on.

You will have more maintenance with a pellet insert... things DO wear out over time. But the heat is nice and even and the mess is nowhere near what you have with firewood....

Even with the maintenance there is no comparison--pellet stove is much easier and cleaner. Pellet stove is much noisier with the blower, combustion fan and auger for pellet feed. The pellet stove fire is nice but the wood fire is really the standard most people prefer it by a very substantial margin. A wood fire is much more romantic, mood setter, etc but I would never go back to wood.

They each have there Pro and Cons...

WOOD..
Pro's - Nuclear heat, Ambiance is nice, Free (Not really/Splitter, Chainsaws, etc) Wood makes fuel cheap.

Cons- Dirty, Wood is a lot of Work, takes approximately 2 yr to season most wood and 3 yrs for w
Oak, Rise and Fall of temperature, keeping 3 yrs worth of wood (if you dont have the room)
Time consuming (air adjustments)
PELLET
Pro's- Automated, Thermostat, no mess from wood, fill the hopper once a day, fuel stores easily and readily available at most stores.

Cons- Needs periodic cleaning and maintenance, parts can wear out, can be noisey,

I have both and love both for different reasons. A pellet stove will heat a home and do it efficiently. But a woodstove throws off nuclear type heat that cant be found in a pellet stove. I love them both and if given the choice between one or the other, I would say Wood Pellet Stove. It just fits my lifestyle better.

Its all in what your looking for. Go to the Hearth Room Forum and ask this same question. You will get the exact opposite of whats said here. Everyone is a little bias, no matter where you go.

Use the search function on the top of the screen. More than likely, what you want to know, has already been discussed. There have been 2 other threads just like this one recently. (Similar. About the differences between wood and pellet)

I love both, but for different reasons.

thanks eveybody. Think im gonna go with a wood insert as the fireplace is in the livingroom so noise is a factor and its not for whole house heating but just for zone heating. since it wont be run all the time the less maintenance and automation of a pellet stove doesnt really matter much to me plus i like i can just get the wood for free in a matter of minutes just by going to craigs list or local sites. people around here are always getting rid of wood. would you agree?

vicker said:
thanks eveybody. Think im gonna go with a wood insert as the fireplace is in the livingroom so noise is a factor and its not for whole house heating but just for zone heating. since it wont be run all the time the less maintenance and automation of a pellet stove doesnt really matter much to me plus i like i can just get the wood for free in a matter of minutes just by going to craigs list or local sites. people around here are always getting rid of wood. would you agree?

Just make sure you burn seasoned wood. Wood needs at least a year (split) wood does not start to season until split. Oak takes 2-3 yrs to properly season. Thats why its best to have 2-3 yrs supply on hand.

Also be sure to get a liner (insulated liner would be best) to run from the insert to the top of the chimney. The goal to reducing creosote, is to burn dry /seasoned wood, and keep the flue gases hot until it reaches the liner cap. EPA stoves dont like wet wood. Wet wood has moisture and can lower firebox temps, which is a perfect equation for creosote formation. Proper burning technique and seasoned wood will keep.a clean flue and will give you a much better experience with your insert.

Do you have a Pre-fab fireplace or a masonry fireplace? As a Pre-fab will limit what you can put in there. Still possible, just limits the amount of inserts you can look at..

Good luck.....

vicker said:

I also live on Long Island and while you will see free firewood offered on Craigslist, you'll be hard pressed to find free wood that is already split and seasoned. If it is free, you will likely need to haul it, split it, stack it, and season it yourself. This requires a lot of time and storage capacity.

Decent wood that is already split and seasoned typically sells for a mimimum of $150-$200 per cord. Even still, there are a lot of scammers on Craislist selling short chords and unseasoned wood for premium prices.

Even if you get wood for free its a lot of work. Even if you have magical pixies who come at night to split/stack your wood, kiss it, then blow it dry to a moisture content of between 8-12% with the flutter of their pretty pixie wings, burning wood is still a lot of work. The only reason I went for wood vs pellets was because I've got trees to clear regardless. I guess I could have sold 3 cords of rounds to get 1 ton of pellets, but I got stuck on the Harman Accentra in 2008 (the year you couldn't find them) and decided just to go with wood.

Between the stove, chainsaw, gear, shed I'm up to 4 grand. Its fun but work. This year has not been a good year to dry wood. I doubt the pellet guys have the same worries. You also have to get/harvest wood 2 years (MINIMUM!!!) in advance, and it takes up a lot more room than a ton of wood pellets. The EPA numbers are at peak combustion, and that doesn't really happen unless you're burning 24/7 with perfect wood. You're also only going to get about 60% annual efficiency no matter what everybody thinks. I bet sometimes much lower. Hard to take if you're buying it but even worse if you put all the effort into harvesting yourself. I figure even cutting my own trees my hourly rate for the money I save is less than $4/hr..

That being said for all my gripes and grumbles about wood I'm glad I didn't go for pellets. Chainsaws are waaaaay too much fun. I vote go with wood: Misery loves company.

All depends on where you are in your life, and what time you have available. I have never seen a wood insert where there is a real concern about dust/dirt. Handling wood is just dirty. It is a fact. There will always be bits on your floors. You need to tend your stove about 4 times daily. Don't get me wrong. I loved my wood stove. That sure could heat the house nice and toasty. Now in the medicare group. Lifting and moving, stacking, and on and on is not what I have in mind for spending my time. I like to get in the car and go for the better part of a day. With pellets, when I get home I am still getting the even heat I was when I left. Plus, if you set thing up right, you only need to spend a couple minutes tending your stove. Even on stove cleaning days, it takes a few minutes. On my 4th season with pellets. Next stove to have a thermostat.

i actually didnt mind the collecting and splitting the wood. it was a good workout as im only 35 and i split it all by hand, now when im 55 i might have a pellet stove. lol.
i have plenty of space behind my garage to stack wood. great spot easy to get to yet well protected.
I dont have a prefab fireplace. thanks for the tip about insulating my liner will make sure of that when i have it put in.

vicker said:
i actually didnt mind the collecting and splitting the wood. it was a good workout as im only 35 and i split it all by hand, now when im 55 i might have a pellet stove. lol.
i have plenty of space behind my garage to stack wood. great spot easy to get to yet well protected.
I dont have a prefab fireplace. thanks for the tip about insulating my liner will make sure of that when i have it put in.

Sounds like your on the fast track to success. Now the easy part is buying everything (if the budget is there) and the Hard part is installing it. Again, unless your paying the Hearth Shop to install.

Do you have any wood now? How long has it been seasoning? You have a fireplace, so I would gather that you have some? If not, its a little late to be cutting now, unless its a couple yrs dead standing. Even then it still will be wet in the larger part of the trunk. Enviro Bricks, Eco Bricks, EZ bricks, etc, are a pretty good alternative. I have some I bought just to test with. Have not used them yet. (I got the Eco bricks/ 16 brcks in 2 packages).

the wood i have i got free from hurricane irene:) so it was just split. i have to order some that is seasoned and ready to go. im having a hearth shop install it. ever hear of dunrite chimney and stove in centereach, L.I. ive had them do a relining in both this house and my old house as well as sweeping. guys are friendly and knowlegable. they are a certified avalon dealer but i dont know of any one who has had a stove or insert put in by them. I hear theres a lot of L.I. guys on this forum any one care to comment??
any feedback would be greatly appreciated
thnx

Be careful buying " seasoned" wood. As most sellers split it just before delivery. Its hard to keep 100 cord Cut/Split/and Stacked. Invest in a cheap Moisture meter. Harbor Freight has one or the one at Lowes (made by General). Take a maul and split one of the splits (piece of wood) then stick the prongs of the Moisture meter in the wood grain. If its around 20% (lower than 20% is best) then you should be o.k. But if its in the neighborhood of 25%-50% then buyer beware. Your wood will be the same as his. The meters are about $20 and can help you out a little. Remember, always split and test the inside of the wood. You will always get a low reading, if you dont have a "fresh face" of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.