Pellets by the 20 Pound Bag?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

Nov 17, 2007
Huntsville, AL
I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of premium pellets sold in 20lb bags? I asked a dealer to quote me a price for a pellet stove and 10 bags of pellets. I knew that 10 bags of pellets wouldn't last me very long but I thought I'd have to go to the freight terminal and pick up the stove and 400 pounds of pellets plus the stove was all my S-10 would hold. The dealer quoted a price and I accepted it. When the shipment arrived there were only five 40 pound bags of pellets. When I e-mailed the dealer he told me they were out of the 20 pound bags of pellets so he shipped five 40 pound bags instead. I had never heard of a 20 pound bag so I'm wondereing if I got took or if it was just a misunderstanding. I read on one of the posts that someone sells them in 30 pound bags so that got me thinking that maybe somebody does sell pellets in smaller bags.

BTW the pellets I got from the dealer were Country Boy White Lightning pellets made in Kentucky. They are made of 100% oak and seem to burn well. I think I like them better than the Somerset only because the pellet length is longer and more consistant. Right now our weather is quite mild so I have to run the stove on low to keep the inside temperature below 78 but the stove tends to go out with the Somerset pellets because of their shorter length. This probably wouldn't be a problem for anyone else and I really do like the low ash and no clinkers that I get from the Somerset pellets.

Philip said:
I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of premium pellets sold in 20lb bags? I asked a dealer to quote me a price for a pellet stove and 10 bags of pellets. I knew that 10 bags of pellets wouldn't last me very long but I thought I'd have to go to the freight terminal and pick up the stove and 400 pounds of pellets plus the stove was all my S-10 would hold. The dealer quoted a price and I accepted it. When the shipment arrived there were only five 40 pound bags of pellets. When I e-mailed the dealer he told me they were out of the 20 pound bags of pellets so he shipped five 40 pound bags instead. I had never heard of a 20 pound bag so I'm wondereing if I got took or if it was just a misunderstanding. I read on one of the posts that someone sells them in 30 pound bags so that got me thinking that maybe somebody does sell pellets in smaller bags.

BTW the pellets I got from the dealer were Country Boy White Lightning pellets made in Kentucky. They are made of 100% oak and seem to burn well. I think I like them better than the Somerset only because the pellet length is longer and more consistant. Right now our weather is quite mild so I have to run the stove on low to keep the inside temperature below 78 but the stove tends to go out with the Somerset pellets because of their shorter length. This probably wouldn't be a problem for anyone else and I really do like the low ash and no clinkers that I get from the Somerset pellets.

Yes, you got took. If there were such a thing as a 20lb bag, he should have of course told you so as the standard is 40lbs.

Of course he was out of 20lb bags because they don't exist. He might as well sent you just one bag and said they were out of 4lb bags.

There is such thing, but when someone tells you that you are getting a "bag" it means 40 lbs!
The freight was probably more than the pellets!

Speaking of Pellets, I had a chat today with Pelletsales.com, and it turns out they are now selling Pellets almost everywhere in the USA- the catch is that you have to buy a truckload if you are not in the northeast or mid-atlantic (that is 22 tons)....Heck, but they are going to start a little area on their forum where folks can "meet up" to share truckloads, etc......

Just FYI for all those folks who are not in an area where pellets are stocked locally.

Webmaster said:
There is such thing, but when someone tells you that you are getting a "bag" it means 40 lbs!

That's exactly what I told him in my e-mail and to his credit he did have his shipping guy call me the next day and offer to ship the other 5 bags. I told him that wasn't necessary. I knew the shipping would cost him more than the pellets and he had quoted me a good price on the stove which I would have accepted without the pellets.

Thanks for the info, Craig! I'm not in their area and I was wondering how I could find other pellet users close to me to share a truckload with. I was actually considering placing an ad in the local paper.

pegdot said:
I'm not in their area and I was wondering
how I could find other pellet users close to me to share a truckload with.

Just make sure somebody in the bunch has a forklift.
Quote taken from pelletsales.com site:

"Truckload orders in excess of 20 tons are delivered on a flatbed truck without a forklift."

Pinnacle pellet had 20 Pound bags

My older customes loved them and were willing to pay $40 more per ton for them.

I sold 100 ton of them as an option to the 40's
they were more money because of more bags and harder to stack
the bags where the same length as a 40 but narrower

My guys hated stacking then

Pinnacle changed to the Robotic bagging system they Canned the 20's

I bought a ton of 40 lb bags because that is all that is available in my area but the 20 lb bags are sooo very much easier to handle for senoir citizens & women .

I must admit that I struggle with the 40 lb bags & i think that the bags are winning.

I may soon start cutting the bags open in my pellet storage area & transfering pellets into
5 gal buckets to make for easier senoir citizen lifting & carrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.