Pellets made by.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_ms

Feeling the Heat
Jan 28, 2008
Upstate NY on VT Border
a company in Granville, NY by the name of Telescope Casual Furniture. Has anyone heard about these? or what is the name of the pellet the do make? I have talked to a few different people at work and they have said that they have heard they were great pellets.
Or is my leg being pulled??

mark_ms

Mark,

The standard advice around here applies. If you are interested, get a few bags and try them. Should be easy since it's only February and you'll be burning for a few weeks yet.

(You could then do a good deed and post your results here. :) )

I did call the company this AM. The pellets do not have a "name" per say. They sell direct from the furniture plant, where they are bagged at $250 a ton or $6 a bag. there are no distributers as of yet.

They are not open weekends so it may be next week before I get some.

Mark_ms

Mark_ms said:
I did call the company this AM. The pellets do not have a "name" per say. They sell direct from the furniture plant, where they are bagged at $250 a ton or $6 a bag. there are no distributers as of yet.

They are not open weekends so it may be next week before I get some.

Mark_ms

Pretty expensive for "no name" pellets that nobody has ever heard of before, IMO. Hope they burn great.

Wow, I hadn't heard they were making pellets! The plant is not far from my house. I hesitate to call it a plant though, at least a pellet plant anyway. They make patio furniture. I guess the business isn't that great if they moved into the pellet world. I will be honest, that price does seem a bit high unless they are super premium. If you are going to spend that amount of money, drive a few miles farther and hit Vermont Wood Pellet Co. Great pellets @ $5.50/bag and $239/ ton. Good softwood pellet, I did a big review on them a few weeks ago, if you do a search I'm sure you will find it.

Bigjim13 said:
Wow, I hadn't heard they were making pellets! The plant is not far from my house. I hesitate to call it a plant though, at least a pellet plant anyway. They make patio furniture. I guess the business isn't that great if they moved into the pellet world. I will be honest, that price does seem a bit high unless they are super premium. If you are going to spend that amount of money, drive a few miles farther and hit Vermont Wood Pellet Co. Great pellets @ $5.50/bag and $239/ ton. Good softwood pellet, I did a big review on them a few weeks ago, if you do a search I'm sure you will find it.

I did go up there today and yes it is a bona fide pellet plant in addition to their furniture operation. When I had called asked about the "brand name" the woman on the phone said they don't have a brand name. Actually the name of the pellet is Telescope Casual Pellets. (go figure).
This is their first year of operation maufacturing pellets. When I to the shipping area to pick them up the guy there gave me a brief tour as to what was where. Actually picked up the pellets in the bagging area. he brought a pallet of pellets with a date of 1/11/10. The bags are a darkish brown in color. there was another pallet there with 5-6 green colored bags and I asked what they were, he indicated that they were grass pellets that they were experimenting with early last summer before they made the switch to wood.

As soon as I load them in the hopper, we will let you know how they are.

Mark_ms

Mark_ms said:
Bigjim13 said:

I did go up there today and yes it is a bona fide pellet plant in addition to their furniture operation. When I had called asked about the "brand name" the woman on the phone said they don't have a brand name. Actually the name of the pellet is Telescope Casual Pellets. (go figure).
This is their first year of operation maufacturing pellets. When I to the shipping area to pick them up the guy there gave me a brief tour as to what was where. Actually picked up the pellets in the bagging area. he brought a pallet of pellets with a date of 1/11/10. The bags are a darkish brown in color. there was another pallet there with 5-6 green colored bags and I asked what they were, he indicated that they were grass pellets that they were experimenting with early last summer before they made the switch to wood.

As soon as I load them in the hopper, we will let you know how they are.

Mark_ms

Definitely keep me posted since their plant is so close to my house. Apparently my wife had mentioned this to me about 2-3 weeks ago that they were making pellets, hardwood I believe. They took out an ad in our local weekly newspaper that gets delivered to all the houses in our area so that's how she knew. I completely forgot about her telling me and if pressed would have to say she never mentioned it at all, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.