Pellets on sale at my local big box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basenjiwarrior

Jan 14, 2010
New York
First off, I am getting my first pellet stove involved later today! (It feels like Christmas morning!)

I have read hundreds of posts the last few weeks on this board, and have benefited greatly from the wisdom, and have laughed at the jokes!

After much searching I bought a Breckwell Big E on the internet from Rural King for $779.00. It might not be the prettiest stove-but I actually like its utilitarian look.

I'm only heating a 1,050 sq. ft. area-so it should handle that fine.

Yesterday I went to my local big box retailer and the manager said they were looking to move their remaining pellets.

He said he would sell them for $150.00 a ton.

The choices were Pennington or Tidy Timbers and possibly pellets made by Marwood(Comfy Cozy)

According to what I have seen from searching the forums here the Tidy Timbers would be rated highere generally than Pennington.

Is this a red flag that they are offering the pellets so cheap, or should I just go ahead and buy 3 ton and not look a gift horse in the mouth?

Thank you.

The biggest issue may have come form outside storage. If the bags have any moisture damage to them. Make sure they will replace any damaged bags. Other than that, Sounds like a very good deal. Not very often we see pellets for $150/ton.

Good luck with the new stove and enjoy the heat. There will be some others that will ask to see some install picture's of the stove cause we like picture's.

Be extremely careful about outside storage with pellets. Home depot had a "sale" on them last week . $189 a ton. Two bags bad so far due to moisture inside the bag. Granted depending on how many bad bags there are per ton are bad will effect the price but opening each bag to look in and make sure the bag doesn't have "kitty litter" inside is a drag. The old saying "if something sounds too good to be true usually is" is certainly something to keep in the front of your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.