Pellets, Pellets, everywhere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anton Smirnov said:
I just stacked a ton and a half of pellets in my basement. I found that about a quarter of the bags were not completely sealed, and they leaked pellets if I wasn't carefull bringing them in.

Is this typical?

More importantly, are the pellets going to absorb moisture & be ruined?

I've received pellet bags that had seams leaking due to rough handling. I ended up duct-taping several bags. The kid had just thrown them on the truck and threw them in the stack at our house. This stopped being a problem when I got them by the pallet load.

If the pellets are stored in a dry place they should be fine.

yea, duct tape them, you should be good. Ive found that certain brands' bags are weaker than others.......some break when you pick them up! Definitely better to get by the pallet and minimize handling by hand. Heck, Ive even had some bags so thin that when you pick them up, your fingers puncture the plastic.

The more you handle them, the bigger the bag gets too %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.