PelletSales misrepersenting their product?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netscorer

Oct 14, 2008
Oxford, CT
Hi all,

new poster here. We've moved into our first house this past spring and it has a central house heating system with pellet stove in the living room.
Anyway, with the prices of oil this high we decided that using pellets for the winter heating season is not such a bad idea and after doing some shopping around and trying to find any stock at local merchants in Connecticut, we made an order at PelletSales.com for 2.8 tons of CleanFire Wood Pellets(1.4 tons/skid). The pellets were delivered only yesterday (though the order stated delivery in September) but that's not my beef with PelletSales. The skids of CleanFire contain each 70 40lb bags for a total of 5600lb. That's roughly 2.54 tons - not 2.8 as stated in the order. Probably PelletSales decided that it's OK to call a 2,000lb of pellets a ton and advertised their product from these calculations. Difference is pretty sizable and I want to check your opinion before I contact PelletSales whether I have a valid issue with them. Should I demand for a refund on the difference? What was your experience with other vendors - do they call ton as it should be (1,000kg) or as they wish.
Sincerely,

netscorer.

Unless they for some weird reason advertised it as metric tons, or tonnes for that matter, then they are right. In U.S. measure a ton is 2,000 lbs.

Thanks for the quick explanation. I had no idea in US (we are originally from Europe) a ton is not what it is anywhere else in the world. If PelletSales would call it a short ton (a proper term) I would probably get suspicious and check the definition. The way it was advertised I assumed that a ton is a ton and based my calculations on how much we would need for the winter based on that. My mistake. Put it in a case on why US should get up with the times and convert to metric system.
Cheers,

netscorer.

netscorer said:
Thanks for the quick explanation. I had no idea in US (we are originally from Europe) a ton is not what it is anywhere else in the world. If PelletSales would call it a short ton (a proper term) I would probably get suspicious and check the definition. The way it was advertised I assumed that a ton is a ton and based my calculations on how much we would need for the winter based on that. My mistake. Put it in a case on why US should get up with the times and convert to metric system.
Cheers,

netscorer.

I believe that would entail change, and retraining for those of us that were educated many years ago. Haven't you nothiced that we hate change in the U.S. ;-)

I also wold have to agree with you that the metric system is a much better system for measurement. The automobile industry has changed over to metric bolts, nuts, hex, etc....

netscorer said:
Cheers,

netscorer.
Metric in the U.S? I was in High School nearly 30 years ago when the government started the process of converting to the metric system. Now, nearly 30 years later and I still can't figure out how much soda is in a liter of Coke, I measure by the inch, and drive in MPH. We are a proud, stubborn, and hard headed bunch who love our traditions and ways of life, so don't count on seeing any changes soon. Glad to hear you got your pellets, and by the way, was the cost reasonable with delivery? Cheers, and happy burning.

netscorer said:
Cheers,

netscorer.

Our speed limits and mileage distances are not metric either, we like it the way it is.

English to metric conversion - thats hitting a sore spot. In 1996, the Commonwealth of Mass converted all of its new construction contracts and specifications to metric. In 2005, they were all converted back to the english system.

There was confusion in converting, confusion in simultaneously working with two systems, confusion in ordering materials in metric specifications (re-bar never converted)... Why did they convert back to english after going metrichy - the fed's removed the mandates after some senators from "southern" states refused to comply...

Ed

ps. Didn't we crash a billion dollar sattelite a few years back because of a miscalculation of the force of gravity - an english - metric mixup... Makes the long ton/short tone distinction seem less significant...

We have been too busy having free and open borders between our states, a common currency, common language and no mayonnaise on our French fries to get around to adopting a measurement system that has only been standardized since the 1960s. We are waiting to see if it lasts and besides the 1.609344 Kilometer High Club just does not have the same ring to it.

bungalobob said:
Metric in the U.S? I was in High School nearly 30 years ago when the government started the process of converting to the metric system. Now, nearly 30 years later and I still can't figure out how much soda is in a liter of Coke, I measure by the inch, and drive in MPH. We are a proud, stubborn, and hard headed bunch who love our traditions and ways of life, so don't count on seeing any changes soon. Glad to hear you got your pellets, and by the way, was the cost reasonable with delivery? Cheers, and happy burning.

I really think it would not be such a big deal. Of course, many people would scream bloody murder when asked to convert to the metric system but many will soon realize that it's more practical and being based on decimal system - easy to follow. When we came to US it took us all of 1 week to learn ounces, pounds, inches, feet, miles and other measures. At first we constantly made a mental conversion every time we were going to the grocery store or driving using directions but probably within a year it became pretty natural. So change is not that hard. Anyway, I digress...
The price was $336.69 per ton delivered, which was a bit high to my taste but we could not find any local alternative (everyone was out of stock and having first come first serve policy for any future deliveries) and decided that it is better then to wait for the cold season in hope that the price will get lower. It's still a better deal then to use oil burner which would probably cost us about 2.5 times as much in fuel.
What I am concerned about now is would this delivery last us the whole season, being less then I originally calculated. Our house is a ranch style (only one floor) ~ 1700sqf (without basement) with a stove located in the living room which happens to be in the center of the house and central air system distributing air throughout the house (incl. basement). I estimated ~ 1 bag (40lb) per day which would now last us 140 days or ~4.5 months. I am hoping that on warmer days consumption would be slightly less and it would get us through October, part of November and late March, when weather here is generally mild. In any case we have a backup plans with oil burner supplying water-based radiators (broken in 4 zones) and some selected electric heaters that can add localized warmth in places that are more populated then the others depending on the time of day.

I'm really glad I was able to find this forum and will rely on you guys on giving us practical advises as we learn on how to use and maintain the stove through the season.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of info here and people that have had pretty much any pellet stove experience that you can think of.

BrotherBart said:
We have been too busy having free and open borders between our states, a common currency, common language and no mayonnaise on our French fries to get around to adopting a measurement system that has only been standardized since the 1960s. We are waiting to see if it lasts and besides the 1.609344 Kilometer High Club just does not have the same ring to it.

Hey BrotherBart, them's Freedom Fries, now. Didn't ya get the memo????????

hey, thats good to hear that they are reputable. we just got our breckwell p23. and picked up 15 bags at the local home depot just to hold us over til pelletsales drops our 2 skids by the end of the month.

buts its also excitable that its more than an actual ton skid, we need to clean out the garage.

i'm in orange, ct, nice to have you in the area, oxford's only 20 minutes away..

-chris

smallcrpt said:
hey, thats good to hear that they are reputable. we just got our breckwell p23. and picked up 15 bags at the local home depot just to hold us over til pelletsales drops our 2 skids by the end of the month.

buts its also excitable that its more than an actual ton skid, we need to clean out the garage.

i'm in orange, ct, nice to have you in the area, oxford's only 20 minutes away..

-chris

Likewise,

just to see what you might be getting, here's an image of two skids delivered to our house yesterday.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_4430_resize.JPG
    IMG_4430_resize.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 635
Before you look at that stack of bags and feel overwhelmed.....it took me 45 minutes to unload a 1 ton pallet and stack the bags on my enclosed front porch. No, I'm not a longshoreman, just a five foot tall sixty year old grandmother. Yes, I have horses, and I'm accustomed to hoisting around 50 pound bags of feed, so the 40 pound bags of pellets are relatively easy. Just keep moving them one at a time and get 'er done.

Terrier Lady said:
Before you look at that stack of bags and feel overwhelmed.....it took me 45 minutes to unload a 1 ton pallet and stack the bags on my enclosed front porch. No, I'm not a longshoreman, just a five foot tall sixty year old grandmother. Yes, I have horses, and I'm accustomed to hoisting around 50 pound bags of feed, so the 40 pound bags of pellets are relatively easy. Just keep moving them one at a time and get 'er done.

**high fives** the lady. Thats awesome.....we have some 60 year old men that can barely lift themselves.....good job!

Terrier Lady said:

My hat off to you - this is indeed very impressive for a sixty year old. Hope we all can be as fit as you are. Pictured are 140 bags (close to 3 short tons) and it took me 2 hours to unload them in the garage and stack neatly. It is indeed not very hard if you work one bag at a time - just watch out for the torn bags and have some scotch tape ready to fix them before you spill all pellets on the ground.

Acckk! I wasn't trying to play the age card, just pointing out that it doesn't take as long as you might think. If it takes more than a minute per bag you need to move the truck closer.<G>

Hmmmm, so, in metric, how much time would it take if I had my daughters unload it (3 and 1)
;)
Props to you Terrier!

we must also take into consideration daylight savings time. I like to measure my pellets in stones or by height in hands. Jester, I think it will take your daughters about 7 years (metric) to unload. Unless of course they have mind powers.

Delta-T said:
we must also take into consideration daylight savings time. I like to measure my pellets in stones or by height in hands. Jester, I think it will take your daughters about 7 years (metric) to unload. Unless of course they have mind powers.

Has anyone tired measuring them using Fodder, Hundredweight or Peck???

did you ask to drop them in front of your garage? do they have a spider, aka a thing to move the pellets to where i actually want them, i'm going to clear up a spot in the garage, so I wont have to move them at all.. i thought my wife said that they do have a machine, but we'll see, either way, i have a pallet jack at work so i can move it if i want too...
chris

Status
Not open for further replies.