Pelpro - Oh those Screwy Screws!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

This Pelpro Bay View is one of the best in the Pelpro Line. It seems to have all the features and is fairly easy to work on. Every stove does seem to have some sort of draw back but sometimes with a little re-engineering it can be modified and fixed easily!

The Pelpro does have all US standard size bolts so when I was missing some on the back panel, the hardware store did have the 1/4" x 1/2" long sheet metal self tappers for easy replacement.

In this case, the easy slide out ash pan has two standard 5/16-18 Thread with an allen wrench well in the top of the bolt!!

What were they thinking! If burglars break into your house, the wood pellet ash is really safe unless they carry a 5/16" Allen wrench!

Maybe it is baby safe!! Of course NO baby should ever be near a stove because the glass is hot enough to burn!!

Anyways, digging through my tool box and removing the correct size allen wrench every time to dump ashes is crazy. I am not going to keep a dedicated allen wrench there all the time so I can have fun with it exercising my wrist!!!

So I went to the hardware store for a knurl know like they have for computer cases. (Unfortunately they are too small) The hardware did have something I knew of but just could not picture it. A thumb screw!! Yes all different sizes but there was a problem, the 5/16"-18 Thread only came in the one inch long size not the 1/2 inch long size that I needed. However better to be too long than too short! So then I noticed the back workshop where they fix screens and cut shades. I asked the kid if he could just cut the bolt. He asked the lumber desk worker and the guy said he did not think so!! I said it is not stainless steel and asked if he had a hacksaw and bench vise. He said yes and proceeded to make the cut. Then after I saw a little struggle, I said you must pull the saw back 2 or 3 times to start the cut and then you it should work! It worked but he had no bench grinder to grind the burrs. I said no problem I can do that at home. So for $3.20 each for the 2 thumb screws and free re-sizing, I was in business!!! Having it cut down to the 1/2 inch made the ash pan tight since it does have a gasket!

See pics below. Don't tell Pelpro they might think it is a good idea!! LOL

Attachments

• PelproAshPanScrew1sc.jpg
    PelproAshPanScrew1sc.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 363
  • PelproAshPanScrew2sc.jpg
    PelproAshPanScrew2sc.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 373
"What were they thinking! If burglars break into your house, the wood pellet ash is really safe unless they carry a 5/15†Allen wrench!"

i got a good laugh on this one. so true, though.

Hello

Well, I am always looking for better and cheaper ways of doing things. So I just found one!!!

Home Depot had 5/16" - 1/2" long standard 18 thread wing nut on a bolt for only $1.25 each!! No cutting just screw right in!!

They even work better!!

See pics below!

Attachments

• PelproAshPanScrew3sc.jpg
    PelproAshPanScrew3sc.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 254
  • PelproAshPanScrew4sc.jpg
    PelproAshPanScrew4sc.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 258
smoke show said:
Well now you wasted $6.40.

Yes, but it was a inexpensive learning lesson. I do like the wing nuts better, they screw in easier and are more secure.

Don2222 said:
smoke show said:
Well now you wasted $6.40.

Yes, but it was a inexpensive learning lesson. I do like the wing nuts better, they screw in easier and are more secure.

That comes right off the profit margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.