Peninsula fireplace - not happy with selection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmnovak1

Oct 6, 2010
St. Paul, MN
We are finishing our basement and are putting in a peninsula fireplace in the middle to break up the room into two parts. The basement is about 1900sq ft.

We've been looking at all sorts of different brands and do NOT like the louvered look. We found a very nice example from Fireplace Xtrordinair.

Here is the link:

Fireplace Xtrordinair penisula

We love the look but it is very expensive. I think the product alone is around $5k. I'd also like to help heat the basement with it so I'm not sure if I need to buy a power vent/fan with it, or will it heat the room naturally.

Does anyone know of other options out there that have a similar clean look to it?

Also, what is the best way to heat a large basement like that with a gas fireplace.

Thanks,

Paul

Frankly, the FPX Revolution Pier is in a class by itself. The radiant heat is pretty awesome (the ceramic glass helps, and greatly adds to the cost). There is no convection fan option on this fireplace, but you'll get plenty of heat without it. The Power Heat Duct option is for distributing the heat to other rooms.

The only other really "clean face" louverless options are unvented, and I wouldn't recommend that, particularly in Minnesota. If you're particular about the appearance, you've found the only one. If you just want a three-sided fireplace, everyone has one.

Thanks for the reply. I do not want the three-sided fireplace that everyone has. We have one in our living room upstairs and both my wife and I think its ugly.

We love the clean louverless look of this fireplace. Glad to see someone has high things to say about it. The big question is that is worth an extra 3k? The fireplace my contractor had budgeted was only $2k. I think it is, but we'll have to see.

If you don't want the same one that every builder uses, this may be the unit for you!

As to the 3K, that always depends.......when you snuggle on the floor in front of it, it becomes priceless. If you are going to use it often and stay in the house awhile, it may be a good investment.

But make certain that the heat output (if they state it) is not TOO much for your area.....then you will not be able to use it as much.

My understanding is the the BTU output can be controlled from 25k BTU up to 50k BTU. The unit will be in the middle of the open portion of my basement which will be about 1100 sq ft.

That FPX is pretty nice looking. The brands we carry do not have anything quite like that yet. We have a see thru 2-sided but not a peninsula. You may be finding limited offerings because that type of fireplace (3-sides) is not a big seller, we actually lost a lot of our models within the last few years because no one was buying them.

Webmaster said:
If you don't want the same one that every builder uses, this may be the unit for you!

As to the 3K, that always depends.......when you dry out your "plants" in front of it, it becomes priceless. If you are going to use it often and stay in the house awhile, it may be a good investment.

But make certain that the heat output (if they state it) is not TOO much for your area.....then you will not be able to use it as much.

I agree, thats a great fireplace. When you consider what a good fireplace does for the resale value of a home, you may be able to talk yourself into spending a little extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.