Permit ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff6443

Jul 29, 2008
NJ South
Stupid me had pro install permit and all . dealer said I was responsible for permit . I said NP . Called the township
BI said 52.00 we will bill you just got the bill . 152.00 BI said I would never quote a permit on the phone . Then he says you have to pay before u can light little late . New Jersey is a pay to play state

Permit ????
***We don't want no stinking Permit ! ***

"I asked advice and cooperation, from all those around me- but never permission !"
- Muhammad Ali

Just tell them that they do not have a permit to be your government. Send them the check for $152 and make sure you know who to vote for next election.... ;-)

They've got you by the shorthairs. You'll need to make the township happy but everybody has a boss. If the fee really should have been 52 then you shouldn't need to pay 152. How are you going to prove that? Get a fee list. Everybody has a boss, even the BI. What's your time worth?

Yeah, should be published somewhere. Most towns have that stuff online somewhere. Otherwise, find some other town department to ask (probably the Treasurer). If it's $152, then it's $152.

Don't screw around with skipping the permit, even if you could now that they know you've done the installation. Last thing you want five years from now when you try to sell the house is to have the whole thing blow up because of an unpermitted fireplace or something. And I'm sure if there was a housefire at some point, the insurance company would point out the unauthorized stove..

Does your locality charge a separate fee for the inspection?

Maybe the permit is $52, but what they didn't mention is that the inspection costs $100 in addition to it.

-SF

I never got a permit for my new install

I asked and got "hold on while we transfer you to . . . " followed by "please hold on while we transfer you to"... by the third time I got "professional or self", I said professional and gave them the name and got "is the cost more then $3,000.00" I said no "no permit is needed". So I wrote down the name of the person, time, date and left it go.

Dave
Enola, PA

I pulled a permit for mine. Since I was doing it myself, I didn't want to give the insurance company any reason to give me any trouble.

I think my permit fees (application, permit, and inspection) were around $75.

-SF

Dumbfishguy said:
Stupid me had pro install permit and all . dealer said I was responsible for permit . I said NP . Called the township
BI said 52.00 we will bill you just got the bill . 152.00 BI said I would never quote a permit on the phone . Then he says you have to pay before u can light little late . New Jersey is a pay to play state

N.J. is a pay to play state? Go figure....I had heard there is a relocation fee, to leave N.J. They'll tax you when you leave. Don't tell our govenor, he'll try to top it. :-/

No applyed before . Due to this anal state would never do anything under the table . Plus the ins reasons , nextdoor 2 acres away said so now ur gonna smoke us out . I m the new guy . I said yep
cus your roosters are blind they crow all night and rip up my mulch . If they come on my land who s roosters are they ,LOVE BBQ chicken . I ll pay but just like always I wont like it . NJ . Atlantic County Hamilton twp .SUCK TWICE

called my township, they say they don't care what i do inside my house, no permits needed for stoves/bood burners/ fireplaces.... heck they wouldn't care if i threw cement pads down on my carpet and built a free standing fire and just opened a window to vent...

Permits vary in price and from place to place, but requirements and fees for them are always a matter of public record by law, if not necessarily easy to find. (Those of you who are allowed non-permitted installations do not know how lucky you are: here in the city one needs a permit to do anything more than change a light bulb, and even then you will probably find at least one municipal agency trying to hold its hand out for some fee for that.)

Do not play hardball with permit requirements unless you really, truly, yea, forsooth, and indeed enjoy the municipality, township, or whatever to play hardball back: it is easy revenue for them, and the 'no permit, no light' situation that you describe is not usually something that can be negotiated because it is considered a safety issue. Also, your insurance company will need to know, and will more than likely 'adjust' your rates for having a stove, even if it is a legal, safe, NFPA-211-compliant installation. If the stove is non-permitted or non-UL-listed, they may cancel your coverage quicker than you can say 'What the ****?'. Even if they do not do that, if, God forbid, a fire should happen, chances are that fingers will be pointed at the non-permitted stove whether or not it was actually even the problem and give them a way to weasel out of any payments to which you may have been otherwise entitled. (This happened to a neighbour whose house burnt one winter due to an electrical problem in the >80-year-old wiring in the place. He pretty much had to prove his innocence, i.e. prove to their satisfaction that the stove (installed by the previous owner) was NOT EVEN LIT at the time of the fire before they would consider proceeeding forward with the claim, a ridiculous feat in amongst all of the other beaurocratic BS that he had to deal with while essentially homeless.)

Good luck,

Brian in Balto.

Whats a permit?
Is that the thing I am supposed to pay for when I am doing something to improve my land or home that I already am paying for and paying taxes on?
UGG UGG UGG That is funny. The beauty of living in the woods.

Dumbfishguy said:
That price is way over the top!

Local township here in the horrible tax-a-chuttets (where we have 5% sales tax)
charges $35 for a stove permit - includes inspection.

Anything over $100 is armed robbery, but then again many will say government is armed robbery. The difference here is that the state and local government honestly wants your stove install to be correct, while in NJ all they want is the money to keep the criminal enterprise (state and local gov) going.

Having lived in NJ for 25 years and been part of the political scene....I'm sad to say that's the way it is....

But maybe you should ask him for the rate sheet anyway.

I'm a bit shocked at having my assessment raised by $3300 for adding a stove. If I changed / added to my gas furnace or hot water heater would they do the same thing? I doubt it. Fireplaces (stoves) must be classified as "luxuries". In the end NJ is a "blue state" with it's tax man's hand on my wallet.

Edit: I just checked my origional permit. It was $49. You got ripped out of your underware dumbfishguy.

He's not alone. I paid $143 for a permit last month to install my F400. Welcome to NJ.

I did not need a permit for my stove. The county advised i check wit my insurance, i did. They told me dont burn the house down. When i asked if he wanted pics to show the install was good he said "na, we used to have a paper to fill out when they were real popular, now its just a 3%increas on your insurance and we are good." Pretty lax around here i guess.

Don't you need a passport to enter or leave New Jersey? :) Anyway my permit in New York was $50.00, this includes all inspections.
My installer wouldn't give me a date without the permit.

no permit here..they just like to raise the tax base...$$$remember were trying to save money...

I am also in New Jersey ( Sussex co.). I am having the EPA Phase II Heatilator Constitution Fireplace and the SL300 chimney pipe installed this next week to REPLACE an existing (10-yr old) Superior BRF-3875 fireplace. I did the entire rip-out and demolition today during Tropical Storm Hanna (Hannah?)! Anyway, I asked the dealer/installer whether or not it is necessary for me to get a permit in my town.....and he told me straight up, " Your town probably wants you to get a permit; it's YOUR money to waste if it will make your sleep better at night." I have checked the town code over and over, and there is NOTHING specific to fireplaces or wood stoves in the "FEES" or "PERMITS" chapters. I believe my town simply categorizes these as general construction/renovation, and would indeed demand a permit as well as fire and electrical (due to wiring of two 160 cfm fans with rheostat) inspections. All of my neighbors have finished their basements "under the radar" over the fast 10 years, all still pay their home-owners' insurance each year, and some have even sold their homes without any questions or issues! I am only REPLACING an existing fireplace, and my insurance company knows that I have one, so I don't think the insurance company really gives a hoot that I have replaced my 10-year old heat-hog, and upgraded it to a much more efficient and (probably) even safer unit. The dealer/installer is actually liable if it is installed improperly and is the cause of a house fire...permit or no permit.

Ours used to be $156. Now I see it has gone up to $103 counter fee and $133 inspection fee = $236. :ahhh: And they wonder why people do unpermitted installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.