Persimmon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoct

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2008
Griffin, GA
My dad has about 5 persimmon trees that he wants me to cut down. They are probably 9" or so in diameter, but I hate to see it go to waste. If I cure it for a year or so split, would this burn ok? I cut one down on another lot that was for Habitat for Humanity and my dad burned it completely green. It had the wierdest smell and clogged up his whole stove pipe and outlet with gunk. If I let this season out, will it still smell funky and put out some gunk? I figure it will be ok, but just making sure because I don't want to mess anything up next year by getting this persimmon mixed up.

Better than poplar not as good as cherry. Dry it for >6 dry mos.

I have burned a little. Average heat. What I noticed is the worms, bugs etc. really start working on it. Need to burn it after one season. Also the bark starts breaking up and falling off quick. I always thought persimmon was really hard and they used the wood for golf club heads before graphite etc. Well, yeah they did but only the heartwood. Most persimmons have very little heartwood per se. Anyway, I have one that broke out when hurricane ike came threw and I will probably cut it up and burn it after one year seasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.