PF100 Creosote problem " Lower Ash Pan Area"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Advisor

Jan 13, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Hello Folks!

I have a problem with creosote in the lower portion of the combustion chamber with my Harman PF100 this season and last season. I've never had this before. I've been buying the same pellets " Hard Wood". The only thing that I've changed since then was my combustion fan and also the fan blades that goes on the motor.

It seems to collect more creosote when the stove iddles (reaches temperature). I do not use the auto igniter so when it reaches temperature it slowly feeds pellets to keep a pilot flame going.

Im thinking it could be combustion fan?

Creosote happens when the stove is run on low temps consistently…run it hot once a week for an hour or so and you won’t have the problem

Creosote happens when the stove is run on low temps consistently…run it hot once a week for an hour or so and you won’t have the problem
I do run it full tilt often but it does not get hot enough. I need to take a tiger torch to burn it out. Ill take a picture and post it sometime today.

Are the parts that you replaced, OEM or aftermarket? If they are not OEM, I would recommend replacing them with OEM. Fan may not run at the same speed and blade design could be a little different.

Did you try a different brand of pellets for a week or more?

Are the parts that you replaced, OEM or aftermarket? If they are not OEM, I would recommend replacing them with OEM. Fan may not run at the same speed and blade design could be a little different.

No the fan is not OEM cant remember if the fan blades are OEM. Never tried different pellets lately. I was thinking of changing out the fan blades with a high altitude version to make up the difference. Well i have a few things i can try out.

Few days ago i bought the high altitude fan blade. Ill try that out to see if that does the trick.

Reactions: Washed-Up