PF100 six blink code every couple hours now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read thru the forums here as well as other sites concerning the six-blink code. I've had this PF100 for three seasons now - it is used and one of the first models per the serial no. (12##). Have not had any trouble with it until now. Did the last major cleaning of everything on 10/31. Around 11/10, it went out with six blink status. Burn pot was empty. Fired it back up manually (as I always do), and noticed a pattern of about every 48 hours or so, it would go out with six blink status. Now it's down to going out every couple of hours. My wife just emailed and said she had to restart it - I had to restart about four hours ago.

I've gone back thru everything - emptied hopper and watched auger cycle - everything looks fine there - pellets dropping as they should. Pulled combustion motor and cleaned fins again even though they weren't bad. Also vacuumed out that area and up into flue which I cleaned all the way to the chimney on 10/31. Grate holes are all open. I've adjusted feed rate to try to compensate - I used to always run it just under three for our pellets. Have tried it up to almost five - and it still goes out.

It acts like the low-burn process isn't working - I think that's when it goes out. Thinking back to pellet stoves I've had (been burning pellets for 15+ years now), I sometimes had to replace one of the blower motors even though they didn't sound like they were slowing down - but new motor always made the difference. Wondering if the same might apply to the combustion motor. Auger seems to be fine - can hear pellets dropping on every cycle. Or maybe circuit board is bad? I've basically eliminated everything but the draft per the bolt in upper left when you open the door - and I find nothing in manual for adjusting that, or even if it is adjustable. I've adjusted the little white dial on the circuit board - that's done nothing and it always has been all the way open (CW).

It's not a pellet issue - we make them here with waste from our major product line - three other family members also use the pellets - nobody else is having issues with it, and I've not seen anything wrong with length, snap, etc.

Any other thoughts?

outdoorsgriz said:
I've read thru the forums here as well as other sites concerning the six-blink code. I've had this PF100 for three seasons now - it is used and one of the first models per the serial no. (12##). Have not had any trouble with it until now. Did the last major cleaning of everything on 10/31. Around 11/10, it went out with six blink status. Burn pot was empty. Fired it back up manually (as I always do), and noticed a pattern of about every 48 hours or so, it would go out with six blink status. Now it's down to going out every couple of hours. My wife just emailed and said she had to restart it - I had to restart about four hours ago.

I've gone back thru everything - emptied hopper and watched auger cycle - everything looks fine there - pellets dropping as they should. Pulled combustion motor and cleaned fins again even though they weren't bad. Also vacuumed out that area and up into flue which I cleaned all the way to the chimney on 10/31. Grate holes are all open. I've adjusted feed rate to try to compensate - I used to always run it just under three for our pellets. Have tried it up to almost five - and it still goes out.

It acts like the low-burn process isn't working - I think that's when it goes out. Thinking back to pellet stoves I've had (been burning pellets for 15+ years now), I sometimes had to replace one of the blower motors even though they didn't sound like they were slowing down - but new motor always made the difference. Wondering if the same might apply to the combustion motor. Auger seems to be fine - can hear pellets dropping on every cycle. Or maybe circuit board is bad? I've basically eliminated everything but the draft per the bolt in upper left when you open the door - and I find nothing in manual for adjusting that, or even if it is adjustable. I've adjusted the little white dial on the circuit board - that's done nothing and it always has been all the way open (CW).

It's not a pellet issue - we make them here with waste from our major product line - three other family members also use the pellets - nobody else is having issues with it, and I've not seen anything wrong with length, snap, etc.

Any other thoughts?

Does that unit have an ESP? If so has it been cleaned lately?

I have no idea what you have at the chimney, is there anything in the chimney or at the top of the chimney that could be blocking air flow?

To my knowledge - no. I'm piped into the chimney exactly how the old propane furnace was piped in and on 10/31 I cleaned out from furnace into the chimney opening from inside. Now that we've got a winter storm watch and a fresh 4" of snow in the past five hours, I suppose I'll end up climbing on the roof and checking it downward tonite.....

you are making your own pellets you say? neat.
6 blinks= incomplete combustion (really they mean the combustion temp is not in the "window" of normal for the number of cycles the auger is turning). There are a few sort of smallish things that I've seen cause this over extended times....
-hopper lid left open, or not sealed well
-restricted intake assembly, or flapper getting stuck on intake assembly
-dirty ESP
-dist fan running continuously

Are your other family members who are burning this same pellet also using Harman stoves? I ask because the Harman ESP probe is looking for very specific temps to figure out if its running correctly, where most other types of stoves only need to be between min. and max. to keep on chugging. If the pellet itself has a wide range of BTU values, it could account for the shut downs.

I would go out and buy a few bags of pellets to try before saying it is not your pellets.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.