PF100 specific cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaclaren

Dec 8, 2010
Seacoast, NH
For your PF100, how much cleaning of the main fire box area are you doing?

And when you remove the combustion blower, how much in there?

Also, what kind of brush are you using to clean with?

I have only done some cleaning on the combustion fan blades as it was caked up some, brushed what I could in that opening. I also just ran the chains in the tubes.

Thanks for any info as I am at a ton now in burning.

at it's current use, I am burning Green team and fireside at a rate of about 2 - 2.25 bags a day for 3600sqft where 1/3 of that is unfinished basement. I keep the therm at 69 all day and turn it down to 64/65 at about 8 at night until I wake up

don't just rake the chains! make a point to remove the baffles and clean it all out once a month, it'll work way better 4 u!

I use the maintenance section of the PF100 Installation and operating manual. Harmon has also posted a cleaning procedure at this web link.
http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/communications/PF100FurnaceCleaningInstructions.pdf

Like summit says don't just shake the chains. Remove the upper and lower baffle plates and shovel out the accumulation of fly ash under the heat exchanger. That fly ash will seriously block the combustion air flow. Brush or scrape the accordion surface first. Like the manual says, this should be done after every ton burned.

I use the shop vac and wide attachment to clean the fly-ash from the inside of the fire box. It keeps the ash from flying around and does a pretty good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.