PIA Spruce

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
This Spruce has been dying from the ground up at the rate of 10' a year. I'm surprised Hurricane Irene didn't snap it off onto my power lines.
I'm not taking any chances this winter.
After I released the second hold wood, she didn't budge.
So I know that if I didn't use wedges, I would have pinched the bar no doubt.(about a 2' lean not bad) I couple good wacks on the wedges sent this tree in the right direction.
This tree was a real pain to clean up, If I had a tractor I would dragged it in a field and left it.
I'm getting pretty good bore cutting a setting hinges, this one was a little wide.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• spruce-02.jpg
    spruce-02.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 306
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 291
  • spruce-05.jpg
    spruce-05.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 288
Hows the saw look? :cheese:

wood dope said:
Ya, looks like a mess to clean up but that there's some primo kindlin' esp. the quills
I just used a few !

WOODBUTCHER said:
wood dope said:
Ya, looks like a mess to clean up but that there's some primo kindlin' esp. the quills
I just used a few !

Come on over we have some white pine for you. :coolgrin:

zap

Better hurry up and clean that up. It's only a matter of time before it will snow here in these parts. I cut one of those down a few years back. Made a mess of my gloves! I learned a trick if it gets on your hands, use mayonaise, it takes the sap right off.

WOODBUTCHER said:
This Spruce has been dying from the ground up at the rate of 10' a year. I'm surprised Hurricane Irene didn't snap it off onto my power lines.
I'm not taking any chances this winter.
After I released the second hold wood, she didn't budge.
So I know that if I didn't use wedges, I would have pinched the bar no doubt.(about a 2' lean not bad) I couple good wacks on the wedges sent this tree in the right direction.
This tree was a real pain to clean up, If I had a tractor I would dragged it in a field and left it.
I'm getting pretty good bore cutting a setting hinges, this one was a little wide.

WoodButcher
I said this in the past. If I had to process only these types of pines to heat my house, I don't think I would do it. Its very unpleasant.

Good wood for kindling or the shoulder season . . . can be a bugger though when hand splitting due to the branches.

Next time, count the branches so we know more about the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.