picked up a couple of bags of uncle jeds.....and....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burrman

Feb 17, 2009
michigan
i like em....better then my pro pellets..but alot more per ton....any one else burn them

Wish I could find a variety of pellets near me...

I've burned a lot of Jed's... hard and soft. Always a quality pellet... bagged 30 miles from my home.

around me we have
pro pellets
uncle jeds
american fibers- i think thats what they are called
and a michigan named bag idk

thats it...

In New England we can get Dragon Mountains(not available this season for some reason?). Same pellet just a different bag as the jeds. Good pellet if you can score them cheap enough!

Jed's are a good pellet, but for $240 a ton in Michigan, are they worth it? While I have a ton left over from last year, which I haven't really touched yet, I don't know if the price makes them better than some of the hardwood pellets I can get for $60-$80 less a ton. I guess I will have to find out!

The uncle Jens burn great. I have burned about 75 bags this year. Great heat and very low ash. I am now burning Somerset pellets and they too burn very hot but with a little more ash. The Jed's cost $244 a ton and the Somersets are $185. I will buy more Somersets before the Jed's because of the $59 price difference. I can get nearly 4 tons of Somersets for the price of 3 tons of Jed's. Both great pellets so the money talks in this decision. :cheese:

Of course I burn Uncle Jeds... why would I burn anything other than the best??? They are the ONLY pellet, that I have used that are consistantly good every year, unlike most others. We picked up 10 bags of Lacretes a couple weeks ago , because our dealer said to give em a try... I'll be sticking with the Uncel Jed's.

ya its a big jump going from what i bought my tons for this year $159 to $250..for jeds

jeds are considerably cheaper here in wi.
I guess cause they are bagged here.
always consistant performance.

burrman said:
ohh thats bs

Jed's softwoods are selling for $209/ton at the Earth Sense in Dale, WI. Depending on where you are in Michigan freight could be $20.00 to $30.00 per ton... or more.

For the money, I will stick with the Eureka's. $177 a ton verses $244 is a big differnce to me. With finding pellets on the cheap, it's good to get creative. I also have a long time go to brand that I will return to in a pinch; these are only $175 a ton. In other words, I have a long-term plan. When burning on a budget, I have found that buying pellets when the price is right regardless of the season is the whay to go. I never stop shopping. For the last 5 years or more, I haven't had to stick with one brand. I even started mixing pellets with cherry pits today to see if the pits could be a long-term option as well. So far, I can say it looks promising as the heat I am getting is great.

i see your point but if i burn hardwood pellets i get shorter burns...softwoods i get long burns and hotter.... i think its a win win situation
jmo

krooser said:
burrman said:
ohh thats bs

Jed's softwoods are selling for $209/ton at the Earth Sense in Dale, WI. Depending on where you are in Michigan freight could be $20.00 to $30.00 per ton... or more.

exactly

Outerlimits said:
I even started mixing pellets with cherry pits today to see if the pits could be a long-term option as well. So far, I can say it looks promising as the heat I am getting is great.

how much ya payin for pits?

This is our 2nd year burning Uncle Jeds. 3 ton last year and it looks like we will go through at least 3 ton this year. We will most likely run out which will give me a chance to buy a few bags of other pellets to at least try out. We like everyone else can buy cheaper pellets, but I like these. We use Greenways in Clare to get them delivered right to our door for $244/ton. It is well worth a few bucks to get them delivered right to your door.

Status
Not open for further replies.