Pickin' on Children: Slipped in a couple Elm rounds ; )

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzr7ky

Minister of Fire
Jun 12, 2006
Hi -

Had a nice score working with a profesional climber this past weekend. We dropped an old dead Elm. Since there was plenty of Ash and Maple I loaded only those Elm rounds that didn't need to be split...

However I did throw a couple 8-10" round in the trailer... My son had several good cracks going; but he finally carried the round inside the house for me to inspect "Hey - what IS this stuff!?!?"

It does pay to know what the various species look like ; )

Sure like the way the Elm burns but it's not for casual splitting with a maul.

ATB,
Mike P

Maybe that could some form of punishment other than grounding, sit back with a beer, and watch them proving themselves to be like Sisyphus on the Elm. Kind of a cruel and unusual punishment, but might prove funny from your end...

Yup, that's elm, cracks nicely, but won't let go... Only thing I've ever found to work reliably is to use a wedge (or more like a bunch of them...) to drive all the way through... It really stinks when you have more thickness in stacked wedges than the original round, and it STILL won't let go...

Gooserider

I think elm is a good candidate for a splitter with a sharper edge, as opposed to a maul. Something that can cut through the fibers. Not a whole lot of elm around here, but I need to find me some so I can compare my newish monster maul with my light super splitter. Both have more of an edge than a maul.

Elm is just another reason to love my hydraulic splitter!

Just last year my 13 yr old 135 pound boy was splitting some good old ash rounds like a pro and his big brother (18 yr old with and attitude) told him to step aside and let him show how its done. Soo, the 13 yr old picked out a nice clean looking piece of elm for his big bro to take a few swings at. (that young boy knows his wood). Well that sure put a damper on things. I wish I had that one on video. You NEVER forget that first experience with that snarly elm.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.