Pics! My new saw and the pile of logs to test it on...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
I had posted before on both of these topics, but here are the pictures. The wood here is what I managed to score from driving by a neighbor around the corner at just the right time - tree service was setting up to take out some trees. They agreed to unload the pile in my driveway. It is about half birch (nice minty!) and the other I'm told is poplar - if anyone can confirm from seeing that would be nice, I don't know anything about poplar other than what I looked up online and found that it has about the same BTU/cord as pine, but the price was right!

The saw is the used saw I picked up from a garage sale. I've since replaced the air filter, spark plug, bar, and chain. It has now cut up about 2/3's of the pile of wood pictured. After the bar/chain replacement things really went MUCH faster as you can imagine. I've put three tanks of gas into it so far.

I've only started splitting the rounds from this pile. The birch splits like a dream - each hit splits off a piece. Quite a change from the seasoned oak and maple with knots all through it that I have been working with!

The poplar is not quite as easy - it takes 2 or three hits to get the first split done, but after that it is ok. The odd thing about the poplar is that the bark seems to really hold the rounds together - it is very thick and tough. I have had splits where the wood is totally split but I have to wack the bark just to get it cut through to break it apart.

All of this is very green of course and I'm splitting any rounds I can in such a way as to make nice square pieces of heartwood for easy stacking as I expect these to sit until the 10/11 season. Hopefully they will be dry enough by then eh?

Enjoy!

Attachments

• CIMG1909.JPG
    CIMG1909.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 753
  • CIMG1910.JPG
    CIMG1910.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 727
  • CIMG1911.JPG
    CIMG1911.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 762
Happy bucking! Looks kinda like that straw game. Moving one without disturbing the other ones. This case, pinching your hands, arms or saw.

jj3500 said:
Happy bucking! Looks kinda like that straw game. Moving one without disturbing the other ones. This case, pinching your hands, arms or saw.

No kidding! I hadn't thought of that, but you are right.. add into that the fact that I can't actually move most of these logs before I cut big chunks off them and it makes the game even more interesting - especially when the chunks fall off and go rolling down the hill. I've had to roll several back up to my splitting area on the corner of the drive... the joys of living on a slope.

Overall though I've been surprised at just how stable the pile has remained as I worked though it. I think one of the greatest hazards last time I worked it (Sunday) was slipping on the piles of sawdust on the logs. I actually took a break and swept it away at one point because it seems particularly slick on the birch bark.

Nice load of logs! Can't beat free wood!

When I was on my way home from work today I seen a tree service cutting up some ash tree's and they just had them on the ground in log lengths. I wanted to stop and ask for them but I was on the way to the dentist, my trailer has a broken leaf spring and I know they weren't willing to travel 15 miles to drop them at my house. My wife wouldn't have been happy either since I said I wouldn't bring anymore wood home till I get my current wood all split and stacked. :)

Nice score, you can't beat free wood delivered to your house. Just be careful around that pile, I would hate to see one roll over and hit you.

Nice little pile o' sticks there. No Poplar in that lot. I see some birch, and what may be some smallish white Ash. Perhaps Mulberry?

Work slowly and carefully, and you will make quick work of that.

Good for you proving once again...it never hurts to ask.

As far as the wood goes I only see 1 poplar unless the tree service is referring to cottonwood as it's a Poplar cousin. And the bark kind of resembles ash to me. So as it sits it looks like a good haul...good luck with the saw too.

...just say'en a spud bar would come in handy moving those logs around.
spud-bar-sm.jpg

For the wood you find hard to split as it seems the bark holds it together well - one tip I've picked up from here and it has served me well is, run the tip of the saw down the length of the log to nick through the bark. It will (slightly) help it to season faster in the round as moisture can escape through the bark gap as well as travelling to the ends, but the main advantage is when splitting the bark doesn't hold it together any more.

Instead of a spud bar, what about a cant hook or a peavey? It would seem a good route to go if you can continue to score logs like the ones from your picture. I have been meaning to try one with a log lift but have not gotten the $$ to do it.

You know as I work my way to the bottom of this pile I am thinking I should get something along those lines. I figured I'd just cut 1/2 way through all all the way down the log, then roll it and cut again, but now I'm wondering how I'll manage to roll some of these. So far with the pile I have simply not worried about cutting too far - the lower logs get nicks and such and don't look as pretty but the saw doesn't mind and as long as I'm aware of the tip of the saw it seems ok. But when I get to ground level I don't want to hit dirt... Hmmm. Well, it will be another session or two before I have to worry too much - I'll find a way - I can always find something to use as a lever to roll or lift the logs a bit. Every round that comes off the log makes it lighter and easier to move afterall eh?

The price is definetely right!
The birch should be fine - it's not a bad hardwood. I find it doesn't last as long as a denser hardwood.
The poplar will dry out a lot. It burns a bit hot, and leaves a lot of light fluffy ashes. And it doesn't leave coals for your morning re-start.
One year drying for both is lots. I've gotten by with 4 months of seasoning split wood.
Happy heating!

Status
Not open for further replies.