Pic's of new wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chachdave

Feb 10, 2009
Southern NH
Here are some pics of new shed. 1st is in building stage, was able to start stacking before roof was complete. Had a big pile of splits from March and was waiting to get this bad boy finished. The picture of pile in front yard is now gone and in shed. I still got 1 1/2 8 foot rows to go to fill it. Will be filled by end of month. I estimate it to hold around 4 cords. Specs are 6 - 8ft rows by 7 to 8ft high and 3 - 4ft rows about 5ft high. The pics are a week old, roof is complete had to get 1 more sec of corrugated plastic. For air flow the roof does not meet garage wall. There is a 4 inch gap and roof overhang on garage drips rainfall over gap onto shed roof. 2nd year with insert should be alot smoother. Bring on winter.

Attachments

• DSCF3543.jpg
    DSCF3543.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 990
  • DSCF3583.jpg
    DSCF3583.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 994
  • DSCF3587.jpg
    DSCF3587.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 983
  • DSCF3588.jpg
    DSCF3588.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 956
Hmmm- Wood shed more important than the former view out the windows. You are definitely a dedicated wood burner. Nice job!

That shed will serve you well for a long time.

I hope that neither of those windows are bedroom windows, AKA legally required fire exits.

Peace,
- Sequoia

yanksforever said:
I guess your not to worried about termite or carpenter ants being so close to the house? :question:

That is my thought too - I've seen several folks who build their lean-to sheds against garages/houses etc. I recall being told ages ago never to stack against house due to risk of termites/carpenter ants.

Anyone care to enlighten me? Is this some sort of "don't burn pine" type of myth?

my garage is concrete block :)

Slow1 said:
Anyone care to enlighten me? Is this some sort of "don't burn pine" type of myth?
I don't think it's a myth but it will vary by region and species of wood. We don't have termites here but we do have carpenter ants. Many of the Poplars/Aspen that I cull are infested with ants but they vacate shortly after the wood is split. Since I tend to season my wood in a heap hausen for a while before stacking it in the shed, I almost never bring bugs anywhere near the house. That said, my shed is a good 30 feet or more from the house. The shed and adjoining toolshed are both made of wood and there is no sign of infestation to either.

Carpenter ants go for areas with moisture so dry wood is inhospitable to them. If your house has moisture problems then ants will already be moving in, firewood or not.

Termites may be a different risk.

TreePapa said:
I hope that neither of those windows are bedroom windows, AKA legally required fire exits.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I think he said the shed is attached to the garage.

LLigetfa said:
Slow1 said:
I don't think it's a myth but it will vary by region and species of wood. We don't have termites here but we do have carpenter ants. Many of the Poplars/Aspen that I cull are infested with ants but they vacate shortly after the wood is split. Since I tend to season my wood in a heap hausen for a while before stacking it in the shed, I almost never bring bugs anywhere near the house. That said, my shed is a good 30 feet or more from the house. The shed and adjoining toolshed are both made of wood and there is no sign of infestation to either.

Carpenter ants go for areas with moisture so dry wood is inhospitable to them. If your house has moisture problems then ants will already be moving in, firewood or not.

Termites may be a different risk.

I concur with all of your statements (i.e. the bugs vacating after splitting, keeping wood away from the house for a while after splitting, carpenter ants, etc.) . . . the only place I've had issue with carpenter ants in my house (that I know of) was in an area around my inset front door which was allowing water to pool on to the wood. When I replaced the front of the house I replaced that section and I haven't seen ants since then. As for ants in the wood . . . when it turns cool I don't see any bugs . . . heck, I never even saw any in the house after bringing in the day's wood.

It is attached to garage and the inside of garage is not drywalled so I will be keeping a close eye on studs. Right now I am alittle tight on space for wood stacking. The wife wants plenty of room for kids to play, I think she is crazy putting the kids before the wood. I bought the house in 2007 and I need to bring in alot of fill to level side and backyard out. Once thats done I'll have a cement slab 10x20 poured for storage/wood shed in backyard. So this is a temporary 5 year shed I hope garage is still standing. Next year I'm gonna put 2 inch layer of cedar mulch under palets, wish I thought of that before stacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.