Pictures from the Garden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bxpellet

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2007
Bronx, NY
Garden going great this year last year it was wiped out by a Hail storm, this year we have plenty

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 547
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 554
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 516
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 541
and some more pictures

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 530
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 530
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 533
Made this on the BBQ, home made dough, fresh Tomato's and Basil from the garden and fresh Mozzarella from Arthur Ave

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 511
I will bring the homemade wine when then figs are ready. I love figs I have 4 trees now in big pots and many smaller one i just bought this year.

WE have 2 trees they are over 20 years old, this year we did not wrap them up for the winter, (A typical Bronx tree all wrap up with joint compound bucket on top)

and we have more figs then ever!!!

Very nice! I'm impressed by how much you've fit into a small space.

That is a serious pepper crop. Are those longbeans? How do you like them? I have seen them in the Asian markets, but haven't grown them. Are they as tender as a good green bean like Blue Lakes?

very nice..

we had a big problem with blight last year and was a little gun shy about planting a large garden this year.

BeGreen, those are Sicilian string-beans that's what my Father in Law says, they are good we just boil them and serve them with mint, garlic and oil salt & pepper. Yesterday we had them with spaghetti, he picked 4 pounds!

I have to give him the credit, at 88 years old this old timer does not stop, in the garden in the morning before the sun gets hot, then off to the gym to do his 3 miles on thread-mil, and 2000 steps on the elliptical, then lunch, a nap then back out there, here are more pictures

Before the pool came the garden was bigger!!

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 535
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 518
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 508
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 516
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 524
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 518
My wife's dad grew up in the Bronx, 1278 Waring Ave.. His father was Sicilian and had a complete garden + fruit trees growing in the backyard. It's amazing how much can be grown there. I'd love to sit down and chat with your FIL, he is quite the gardener. What does he use for amending the soil?

Gotta try some of those beans next year if I can find the seeds. Where do you get your seeds?

Try them with sliced fennel, thinly sliced red pepper, a little chili pepper, red onions, salt and pepper.

He has the seeds, when you look at the plant there are a few string beans that are large, he said they are the seeds for next year crop if I am here (he always says that) PM me your address I can mail them to you when they are ready, We live in Locust Point in the Throggs Neck section, at one time this whole area was sheep farms, the soil is very fertile, It gets a lot off sun and plenty of water and a product called Plant Tone, just a little when planting. He grew up on a Farm in Italy, and was a Construction Laborer, with a Landscaping Business on the side. In a few weeks we will be Jaring our tomatoes for next year now that another production, there no resting with guy!!

nice garden and pizza. I tried making my 1st pizza today and it was a total failure.....it ended up being a calzone cause the damn dough was too thin and it got soggy and wouldnt slide off my board and onto the pizza stone. do you have a good dough recipe?

My Father in law makes the dough, have no clue on the recipe, I also buy dough from the local Pizzeria and make the pie right on the stone and then throw it on the grill
When you roll in out use Semolina that helps it slide, I have experimented with many different ways of doing it, On that pie I roll it out on the stone sprinkled it with the semolina, then brush Olive oil, put in on the grill with the stone just to crisp it slightly, then I flipped it on to the other side without the stone to brown the side that the sauce and cheese goes on, flipped it back added sauce (not to much), cheese and fresh Mozz and Basil, then let it cook on my Weber MLM setting for about 10 minutes then put it up to HHH setting until the cheese bubbles keep an I eye on the bottom so it doesn't burn, believe me it has taken many a pie to get it right. If you use fresh Mozz, leave it out so it drys before you slice there is a lot of water in them and it will make your pie soggy. Good Luck

BucksCoBernie said:
nice garden and pizza. I tried making my 1st pizza today and it was a total failure.....it ended up being a calzone cause the damn dough was too thin and it got soggy and wouldnt slide off my board and onto the pizza stone. do you have a good dough recipe?

sometimes cooking the dough for a few minutes before puttings toppings on helps with the soggy bit.
I cook peppers and onions first before putting on, too.

-

You grow figs in pots ?
I have two that got to be 20 feet tall. (not in pots)
I donated them to the zoo in R.I. but they never came and got them.
Way too big to cover every Winter.
Outgrew all my covers and heat tapes.
They die back in the Winter but even the toughest of Winters has sent shoots up in June/ July.
I don't like figs, so I've given up on them.

When they were twenty feet tall they were nice to sit under and imagine being in the Middle-East somewhere, especially on a very hot day. Doesn't work with the grape vines. :)

---------
I didn't get blight in tomatoes last year like everyone else, I got it this year, but my Summer squash and zuccini just stopped producing decent fruit last week. They're still blooming, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.