Pie anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Gave the Farm Boss and the sledge and wedges a work out.

Attachments

• 101_0590.jpg
    101_0590.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 692
  • 101_0591.jpg
    101_0591.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 698
  • 101_0588.jpg
    101_0588.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 703
Before and after:

Attachments

• 101_0584.jpg
    101_0584.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 674
  • 101_0587.jpg
    101_0587.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 679
  • 101_0586.jpg
    101_0586.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 692
  • 101_0592.jpg
    101_0592.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 697
Makes these rounds alittle more managable. Started 10am - finished at 3pm, took a lunch break. Not too shabby for an old man.

That spud bar is MONEY.

I'm going to get some oak today! Sure is easy to split. You look like a hero with minimal effort. Not to diminish your efforts, you did a great job, "for an old man" ! :cheese:

Wish I had some oak to play with!! Its just not around hear. Pat

Looks like fun, all out of rounds to split so going out at lunch looking for some for the long weekend, if you were closer I would just help split some of yours :p

hmmm, I LOVE pie!

Oak cracks like an egg. Easiest sledge/wedging I've done, but the rounds were heavy and so was the sledge. I felt it last night, but I'm 110% today. Gonna move it back to my splitting pile to work on it - perhaps with hydraulics if I get lazy. I've got to rent one for the shagbark I have - so I might as well use on the remaining oak.

If you look close at where the wedges went in, tons of sap poured out like water and would splatter as I hit the wedge. These rounds are full of sap, since the storm took these trees down before the sap went down. It's gonna be 2+ years to season and I will make smaller splits.

That's serious wood. The kind you roll, not carry.

Rounds like that scream hydro!

basswidow said:
Oak cracks like an egg. Easiest sledge/wedging I've done, but the rounds were heavy and so was the sledge. I felt it last night, but I'm 110% today. Gonna move it back to my splitting pile to work on it - perhaps with hydraulics if I get lazy. I've got to rent one for the shagbark I have - so I might as well use on the remaining oak.

If you look close at where the wedges went in, tons of sap poured out like water and would splatter as I hit the wedge. These rounds are full of sap, since the storm took these trees down before the sap went down. It's gonna be 2+ years to season and I will make smaller splits.

Nice work basswidow. It is a good feeling to do this type of work. Immediate progress and satisfaction. And if I remember correctly, you got a good price on that wood as well! :) Have a good one man.

Great Job..

and all that with a FarmBoss and some muscle.

You Go Old Man :zip:

Great stuff there. Who was it that said the 029/MS290 is overweight and underpowered? Nothing like cracking open some monster Oak.

basswidow said:
Gave the Farm Boss and the sledge and wedges a work out.

Nice work basswidow, nice job bringing out the big POTATO!

zap

HA Zap,

I guess there are many names for a Spud Bar. "tamp bar, breaker bar" It's great when digging post holes and getting rocks out. It sure gives you some leverage when you need to move big logs or break apart some stringy pie cuts.

Ever since I got some new files, my MS290 cuts GREAT! I didn't know that files don't last forever.

basswidow said:
HA Zap,

I guess there are many names for a Spud Bar. "tamp bar, breaker bar" It's great when digging post holes and getting rocks out. It sure gives you some leverage when you need to move big logs or break apart some stringy pie cuts.

Ever since I got some new files, my MS290 cuts GREAT! I didn't know that files don't last forever.

I played softball with a guy nicknamed SPUD, we changed that to the BIG Potato, he could hit them deep.

zap

basswidow said:
Makes these rounds alittle more managable. Started 10am - finished at 3pm, took a lunch break. Not too shabby for an old man.

That spud bar is MONEY.

All that work wouldn't be too shabby for a YOUNG man! ;-) Great job!

Is that "spud" bar like a big pry bar? I used one as well to move/position/roll rounds for splitting.

smokinjay said:

I save the hydraulics for the tough stuff but I usually only rent one once a year and it's the best 50 bucks i spend all year long. I LOVE splitting oak this size by hand. Couple of splits with a wedge or two to get things rollin and then have at it with a maul or my Fiskars (my new love). Isn't it amazing how much you get out of one of those big guys. Good score, thanks for the pics.

I love when you get more than a wheelbarrow load out of one round! Nice square splits with no bark.

WoodpileOCD said:
smokinjay said:

I save the hydraulics for the tough stuff but I usually only rent one once a year and it's the best 50 bucks i spend all year long. I LOVE splitting oak this size by hand. Couple of splits with a wedge or two to get things rollin and then have at it with a maul or my Fiskars (my new love). Isn't it amazing how much you get out of one of those big guys. Good score, thanks for the pics.

Me too. I only rent once a year and it's for the ugly stuff. This stuff is so clean - it will be the easiest splitting. But I don't have enough ugly stuff for a full day's rental. I usually rent on sat morning and get sunday too. So while I have it..... I might as well split everything on hand.

I've got to get something done with it either this weekend or next, as we have lots of company coming for turkey day and I dont want a mess. Plus, the tree service told me they'd bring more once I cleared this up. BRING it!

Looks like you are having fun :)
Very nice.
One of those big ones is a full days worth of heat. (oak envy here :) )
Good job!

Real nice work. I had a chance to get about 10 similar sized rounds about 2 years ago - Fiskars tore right through, especially after getting the round in half. Drooling over that wood! Cheers!

That's the flavor of pie any wood burner will love. Good job!
Tip: lay the round on a 4X4 and wedge along the line above the 4X4... It acts like a fulcrum and the weight
of the two halves help open the split. Also, it won't be shoving the halves apart against the ground.

Those big rounds bring up a question I've wondered about. :eek:hh: ???
Is it better to "Pie" them or take off the edges & then "square/rectangle" the middle. I see some nice 4" X 6" rectangle & some nice big square splits in several pictures.
What is the a "Best way" to split for size, stacking, drying & burning when you have the big rounds?
Not that I get many up here, but every now & then I get some 20" +/-. I call them "rollers" because I don't lift them, I role them on & off the trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.