Pine Cut Friday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This was from one of the dead standing pine I dropped on Friday, the highest m/m reading on 2-17-2012 was 23 percent and tonights highest reading is 14 percent.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4664.jpg
    100_4664.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 442
  • 100_4705.jpg
    100_4705.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 430
Hey Zap......I have about 10 rounds of pine about 12-15" in diameter. All about 18" long. If I split them in March...will they be ready for say.......Oct or Nov? Thanks

Are you keeping this split near the stove? I guess pine is a quick dryer. I know you plan on saving the pine for next year, but will you burn some yet this year just for chits & giggles? Are you and the Mrs feeling better... I hope so. Be well

This will be our first year (2012-13) with pine so I'm not sure on the seasoning time but have been told it can be ready in 6 months. We have a great area for stacking which gets high winds with plenty of sun so I'm hoping it will be ready, if not then we will have to burn more of the good stuff.

zap

Love me some pine. I'm burning some right now that was stored in a barn for over 20 years. MC is reading 9%. I was surprised the MC was that high though.

TR, I'm thinkng some of this dead pine will be around nine percent when we start burning it in the fall. Looks like Saturday will be another day of cutting dead pine, it's around the house so if we get hit with some good snow I can still get to it.

zap

Zappy that stuff looks almost ready for the fire. You should stack that up for the spring SS......maybe it will keep ya out of da good piles til next fall.

I don't have a lot of pine but the stuff I have is great. Pine mixed in with oak or locust really helps get the fire going fast. I got a big Scots Pine that the neighbor took down that will be a lot of my kindling next year. I wish I had more.

I knew pine dried fast but didn't know it dried that fast.
You have a "kiln" , hidden out some where?? LOL :)

Scotty Overkill, we still have some Cherry left which should get us through the middle to late April.

Wood Duck, I also wish that I had cut more shoulder season wood last year. Looks like we will have between 2 - 3 cord of shoulder season wood ready for this coming heating season, I'm hoping for more because we have room for another 5- 7 cord.

Bogydave, I was very surprised by the moisture content. We still use the pellet stove but only when it gets real cold -10 to -20. We have cut back to 50 bags per year in the budget for pellets so the more shoulder season wood the better. Heating from the basement you burn more wood but no oil deliveries since late December of 08, January 09 is when we received the letter that automatic delivery was being stopped. :coolsmile:

zap

zapny said:
t no oil deliveries since late December of 08, January 09 is when we received the letter that automatic delivery was being stopped. :coolsmile:

zap

Bet that was a "celebration" day :)
At the price now & still going up, makes the work we do feel better & better, eh?
I don't feel "I'm not sticking it to anybody", I feel that "nobody is sticking it to me" LOL :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.