Pine ok to burn if mixed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
So is it ok to burn Pine if you mix it with other wood. Just got a lot of Maple and theres a few trees that might be pine in the pile. It's a log pile so no leaves. The wood does not smell like pine and it is not sticky. It is white any heavy. I got two load today and going too get the rest tomorrow. Even if it is Pine it might be rude just to take the good wood. Plus theres 2 more big pile on the land that I'm going to ask about.

pine is a terrible fuel, avoid it at all costs, if you send it to me i will dispose of it properly. :coolgrin:

johnsopi said:
So is it ok to burn Pine if you mix it with other wood. Just got a lot of Maple and theres a few trees that might be pine in the pile. It's a log pile so no leaves. The wood does not smell like pine and it is not sticky. It is white any heavy. I got two load today and going too get the rest tomorrow. Even if it is Pine it might be rude just to take the good wood. Plus theres 2 more big pile on the land that I'm going to ask about.

You just be sure it is dry when you burn it.

If is is heavy it is wet and doesn't need to be put in a stove this year no matter what it is. As to the pine question, seasoned pine burns just as well and clean as any other wood. It just does not burn as long on an equivilant size split basis as hardwood. I have burned nothing but pine for October and November and will start on the oak when I need longer burns.

Let the latest pine marathon begin!

Good, this wood is for the 2008-2009 winter. There a lot wood at this site. They cleared a big lot for baseball fields, the contectors left the trees limbed in 3 big piles now the owners what it out of there. I'm not sure they have any one but me wanting the wood but there must be 15-20 pickup truck loads. I'm going to work it each day till its gone. Just a helpful kind of guy.
MSG shipping would be a killer.

The pine that Warren, another forum member gave me is light, real lightweight, and burns fast and hot. I mix it with other wood, and it is excellent.Again as Warren told me, burn it on hot coals, and in moderation, with mixed wood!

Pine burns fast because it is less dense. When set on a hot bed of coals, the heat penetrates through the split more quickly. One thing you can do is to process pine into larger-sized pieces than you would with hardwood, equivalent in weight to a hardwood split you'd normally use. That will help slow it down some. I actually prefer pine rounds to splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.