Pine & Rotting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hi all,

Just curious how well pine puts up with constant wetness from rain/dark places.

I've got stacks and stacks of pine that have been getting soaked non-stop. Lot of it seems to grow a fungus on the ends when wet + facing a dark end of the pile.

I've got some pine in non-ideal locations. Does pine rot easy?

By comparison, my elm is a trooper. I had a de-barked 8" tall, 30" wide round laying face down on sopping wet mulch for weeks. Lifted it up and within a day it looked perfectly dried out.

Most all pine I've seen rots pretty quickly when kept moist.

Just another reason to COVER STACKS. If you needed it.

Agreed. Pine does not keep very long if kept in wet areas. It rots fast. On the other hand, if you want something that doe not rot fast in wet conditions or laying on the ground, white ash is about the best around these parts.

Probably would help also to get it up on pallets if you don't already. Cover if needed yes but just something over the very top- if you use a tarp and it comes down over the sides and blocks airflow/traps moisture I'll bet you could do more harm than good with the cover.
Good luck

I have almost all of it off the ground in various stacks - mostly up on pallets and such. But the stuff in the middle/bottom is what I was worried about...

That being said, about 8 weeks ago I tore down a pallet pile that was 1/2 pine and all of it felt/looked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.