Pine shouldn't be burned indoors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxer

Aug 30, 2009
SE Ohio
I just got in from bringing wood in all afternoon and sat down to look at the paper. On the front page is a story of a local fellow who is selling sawmill slabs. He had a give away last weekend. I had a friend of mine who was trying to line up everyone with a truck to go get him a load because he is too lazy to ever go out and cut with me when I ask him to go along. Anyway long story short I didnt go but, I did see some of this wood and you could almost ring the water out of this stuff. If you read down the story you see at the bottom some wood (facts) and it says to never burn pine inside only outside in a fire pit. I thought it was funny seeing how all these so called woodburners are now trying to burn this soaking wet wood but at the same time warning of the evils of ever burning pine. I myself have never burnt much pine but around here we have tons of it dying so I dont care what they say I'm going to burn some next year. I thought some of you pine burners might get a kick out of this or want to comment. I cant figure out how to add a link for that specific story but here is the papers web adress www.timesreporter.com its the front page story no less. Around here if you tell someone you are going to burn pine they are ready to lock you up, and if your wood is a little wet they'll tell you thats good it lasts longer that way.

Thanks Flatbedford

Well so much for the pro's. Black Walnut has more btu's per cord than cherry and doesn't smolder if it is dry. I have burned pine in my gasifier and not had a problem unless it was high in moisture content. Some places do not have access to anything but pine and stay warm. They may mean well but the only fire I see smoldering is the one for the need of enlightenment.

The Old Wives Tales will never die.

Status
Not open for further replies.