pine tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
I can probably get a decent size pine tree which has been limbed already. Dry time?

Will it be ready for the fall or early next spring?

Reactions: ScotO
I got some Red Pine last Summer that was dead standing. I also split it real small so it probably would have been dry even if the tree had been live. Assuming you already have some shoulder wood, you might cut some of the Pine very small and use it for starter wood this Fall...

I burn some pine every year.
If it is split, it can easily dry in a summer.
All the better if you keep the rain off it, and off the ground.
Branches and non-split pieces take a bit longer - I'd keep them drying for a year.
Happy burning.

I cut a huge blue spruce this past winter, split it up and used it in my maple evaporator a month later. Not saying you should do that in a stove in your house, but that stuff should be ready by fall if you make the splits small (4" x 4" would be ideal). Lots of people here on H.com burn pine exclusively and they have me convinced to use it. So I say go get it and split it right away, so its ready for this coming fall/winter.

I am gonna go against the grain just a bit here. You want that pine "Dry" not "questionable". I will burn pine without issue, but it has been cut/split for a min of 12 months. There is a noticeable difference in how the pine pitch and volatiles react from "kinda dry" to "really dry".

Just one dudes opinion.

I agree with jags.
If the tree was standing dead then atleast the pitch didn't run in it this spring - doesn't mean its seasoned.
I've been burning a bunch of SYP that the beetles killed on my property, all were standing dead for a year+ I still c/s/s in the new sunny area created for 12-16months before buring it.
The pine I burned this past winter I c/s/s in jan 2011 it had been standing dead since 2009 - saved me the limbing process
You may get away with some it next spring shoulder season, but you'll likely find it somewhat smoldering/smoking - hold some of it over till fall 2013 and you'll be convinced dry pine will make some heat

Pine dries pretty fast, but I agree with Jags that you want it fully dry just like any wood. If you have no other option it could be burned this fall, I'm sure, but it will be better next fall.

Do it today and split it small.
Burn something else if you can.
If we have next winter the winter we had this last year I would
bet you could burn it after January of next year. In optimal conditions.

Do it today and split it small.
Burn something else if you can.
If we have next winter the winter we had this last year I would
bet you could burn it after January of next year. In optimal conditions.

I have plenty of other wood ready to go for next year but would rather save the hardwoods and burn the soft stuff in the early fall and early spring. I will get it and see how it works out. Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.