PineLogg Firestarters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, I broke down this year and bought some of the prefabed "Pinelogg" fire starters. I bought them at a local Ace Hardware. 24 to a box for like $12. I bought them due to the fact that I have come home two tiems now to blackened splits in the fireplace and my wife saying "the kindling is too wet"..which, its definatly ideal that is for sure. I ahd a bunch of 3" dia cherry that I had bucked up from a tree. They sat in the round on pallets for a year and this fall I split them up...I couldnt beleive that they still hiss and I should ahve split them down into smaller sizes..Anyways, back to my purchased Pinelogg firestarters.

I will tell you, I am impressed. They come 4 to a pack and you simply break them off one at a time. I tried my first one the other night. Tristed up three pieces of newspaper, set one in N/S direction. Put two med kindling on either side, two more kindling perpendicular and one med split on top..I lit the newspaper and watched..the newspaper started the firestarter and one that lit, it really lit and stayed intense well past the point of catching the med split on fire..I would say light up was 1/2 the time as it normally takes with standard kindling.

So of course, I thought, well, I will break one in half..this would give me 48 startups ratehr than 24 right..it worked well. Needless to say I will always have some on hand.

Yeah I've never been too proud to just use those fire starters because it's just nice that they keep going even after your splits are lit. I cut them in 3 pieces and they work great.

You might try these, just to compare:

http://www.supercedar.com/

Made and sold by a member here. Like a hockey puck, just need 1/4 of one to light a fire...forget the newspaper if you've got some dry kindling. I swear by 'em. If you send an e-mail and mention that you're a member here, Thomas will mail you some samples for free to try out. Rick

actually I ahve tried them before, there was actually a free sample in my stove. worked great..

i use firstarter loggs from wally world i break one brick into 4 pieces and a box of them seems to last forever

jfournier said:
Yeah I've never been too proud to just use those fire starters because it's just nice that they keep going even after your splits are lit. I cut them in 3 pieces and they work great.
you beat me to it. It only takes me one third of a starter to get my dry wood going hot in a few minutes. If I have some "less than perfect" wood then I might use two chunks.

I don't know if it's necessary or not, but I throw an opened package in a ziplock to keep them from drying out. Basically, I plan on being able to use that one box for an entire year of starts. (probably more if I don't let the stove go out completely)

A box of the Pinelogg's lasted me all last year. I also used a fair amount of paper when I wasn't using them. 1/4 per fire. I start a lot of fires. Morning and night after work.

I also have some cedar fence cutoffs from this summer installing it and just one small piece works great with a couple pieces of paper under it. No need for the starter.

I got my sample of Supercedars last year and they were great, but I honestly can't justify the price when my $10 box of starters lasts all winter long.

vwboomer said:
I got my sample of Supercedars last year and they were great, but I honestly can't justify the price when my $10 box of starters lasts all winter long.

i agree ,the supercedars do work well but for the availability and price its hard to beat a 10 dollar box of starters at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.