Pinhole leak in 90 adjustable elbow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rakuz66

Feb 14, 2007
Maple Glen, Pa.
Ok, so my stove was welded, parts came in and I got to work this week-end. Basically, I gutted the stove and put in all new parts, baffles, firebrick, damper assembly, etc. I ordered a few elbows to connect the stove to the SS liner and the only one that would work was the 90 adjustable due to it's length. Anyway, after I assembled everything, I gave it a test run to see if there were any leaks in the elbow, and sure enough there was one pinhole leak. I emptied a whole tube of Rutland furnace cement around all the joints. How long will this last? 1 year? 2?

Most single wall pipe will have holes and gaps in it - totally much more than a pinhole. But, given a decent chimney, these gaps pull air in...as opposed to letting smoke out. Therefore, this is probably no big deal in your case.

We often seal adj. elbow joints from the inside with furnace cement. It does not take much to do so...

Sorry, I didn't fully explain myself. It was updrafting. A pinhole size diamater of smoke was coming out of the elbow and going up the chimney. But, not up my SS liner.

Sounds like the chimney in which your liner is installed is drawing better than the liner system. The chimney needs to be sealed up...top and bottom.

I agree with Fossil. If your chimney is pulling smoke from the liner, you need to seal the chimney top & bottom. Any pinhole will actually fill in with soot/creosote in no time. The chimney drafting the smoke from the liner is the problem.

Fossil is right on......you need to close top and bottom of your chimney around your liner......would be even better off insulating that space with vermiculite while you are at it.....

Ok, the chimney top is sealed up , but not the bottom. I'm not an expert, so I was hoping this leak isn't a major issue. I've already sealed the leak with Rutland cement, seems to be working. Will this cement last at least this season? thanks. Next yr I'll seal up the bottom.

Pictures will help us see what you are seeing.

The leak is sealed up, but I'll try and get some pics 2morrow. There was a pinhole size stream of smoke coming out of my 90 adjustable elbow at the knuckle joint, and it went straight up the chimney But, it was going up on the outside of my SS liner , so it concerned me because my chimney is sealed at the top. I lathered the elbow up with rutland cement. No more leak, but I'm wondering how long this cement will last? Next year I plan on putting in a new SS liner and sealin it all up.

I'm very surprised that with the extension piece of liner that you couldn't get a clean drop in fit with a 30 degree elbow. Sounds like this didn't work out.

Believe me, I didn't want to use this 90 degree adjustable, but it's the only one that would work. I didn't have an extension, next year a new liner. I know it isn't the textbook way of dong it, but I just lathered the snot out of the elbow with cement, and no more leak. It was only a pinhole to begin with, but I just wanted to use up the tube. Think it should last me this year?

The top plate may be there, but is it sealed? There is something pulling draft up the chimney to pull smoke from the elbow. So either the top plate is not sealed or the chimney has leaks elsewhere, bricks, loose brick/block etc.

rakuz66 said:
Believe me, I didn't want to use this 90 degree adjustable, but it's the only one that would work. I didn't have an extension, next year a new liner. I know it isn't the textbook way of dong it, but I just lathered the snot out of the elbow with cement, and no more leak. It was only a pinhole to begin with, but I just wanted to use up the tube. Think it should last me this year?

From what I can tell, in spite of several postings with advice to help remedy this installation, you have chosen the short cut. There is no way we can endorse a sloppy patch or give you comfort that it will last a season. This is an unknown that you appear ready to gamble on. I wish you the best of luck.

Well, I at least put the stove back together correctly! I hear ya. Think it's time to call in the Pro's , but there the ones that took all the shortcuts in the original install. But, yeah, I might be in over my head. Just wish I knew a Reputable fireplace guy.

Find a CSIA certified sweep in your area. There are a lot of them. With an extension on the liner and the correct angle elbow it should connect well. You are close and it can be connected correctly so that you have peace of mind.

http://www.csia.org/default.aspx?tabid=174

Status
Not open for further replies.