Pink insulation for insert trim?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgp602

Jan 7, 2006
Hi, Would It be ok to put some of the pink Owens Corning attic insulation pieces around my insert's trim faceplate where it meets the brick of my fireplace? I put a piece in a stainless steel bowl and held my propane torch under it until it was cherry red, and the insulation was fine. It wouldnt even be touching my stove if I were to use it. Thanks for any info

Rutland makes an adhesive back fiberglass insulation that works well in that application, at least it looks more finished when installed. As long as there is no paper on your pink insulation i dont see a problem with it.

The way it is now, I wont be able to adhere the adhesive backing to anything because the clearance is tight. I will use a putty knife to stuff the pink around the trim, but also so it is out of sight and looks nice. Thanks for the confirmation!

paulgp602 said:
Hi, Would It be ok to put some of the pink Owens Corning attic insulation pieces around my insert's trim faceplate where it meets the brick of my fireplace? I put a piece in a stainless steel bowl and held my propane torch under it until it was cherry red, and the insulation was fine. It wouldnt even be touching my stove if I were to use it. Thanks for any info

Used the pink stuff for twenty-one years around the insert blasting straight out the top with no liner. Sealed great and never melted a strand of it. Now that the liner is installed, pink stuff is going back behind the face plate again.

Melting temp of the glass is supposed to be somewhere around 1,200 degrees. Your faceplate will melt at around 1,100 so the fiberglass would not be your main concern about that time.

I have found that pink insulation will harden and turn white when exposed to prolonged high heat. My original insert installation had pink insulation around the 5' flex into the chimney. After a few months the insulation was hard for 1-2 inches around the flue, but, it was fine elsewhere. Therefore, I'd say that for your purposes, it will be okay. You aren't going to get the heat intensity around the insert surround that you would have right at the flue pipe.

YMMV...

-- Mike

paulgp602 said:

I concur with mr. mike....the temps will not be high where it is located, and therefore OK (with paper removed).

Status
Not open for further replies.