Piping Upsizing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPABill

Feb 10, 2011
NorthCentral PA
I'm installing a new boiler soon. I have some piping that is 1" copper, and am wondering, for my back-up gas boiler, if I could use this. (it worked before).

The real question is would it be of any benefit to upsize the pipe for the last 6' or so, say to 1.25" or bigger?

Could this cause any problems?

The system will be pressurized.

Thanks for hte help.

Bill

Pipe size has everything to do with flow resistance and pump head: the larger the size, the less flow resistance, lower pump head, higher flow rate, and ability to transfer more btu's without changing the circulator. The question of up-sizing in your case on a technical basis is whether or not you would benefit from a higher flow rate, which may be small if the up-size portion is only a small part of your total piping scheme. The best procedure would be to calculate your flow rate and btu transfer rate with and without the up-size, and that would help you decide whether the up-size would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.