plan b is plan a+

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
Made a recent post about the oak I bought earlier this year moisture at 27%.. just wasn't burning to my liking...bad thing is I moved all this oak to my shed a few weeks ago..all 4 and a half cords...well I will be moving this wood back to the yard on pallets until next year...went out tonight and got some wood I had cut in the last month...it had been down for a year and some 2 years...it Burns really good and no smoke coming from chimney...sycamore. .locust..buckeye..elm..ash..more work for me..but oh well little work never killed anyone..

I finally moved some two year old oak out of my garage stalls to get dry. I'm going to just give it a couple of more years, and I'll try again. It takes a long, long time. When the bark falls off, I'll consider it done.

Cascade Failure said:
Put me in the 18-24 months for oak camp. Great when dry, sucks if burned too soon.

Around here it's the same time frame. The only time splits get near my house or in my house is after they have been properly seasoned in the wind & sun.

I threw a load of two year seasoned wood into the stove last night, one of the splits was oak and it sizzled and spit water out of the end. The birch and maple was just fine. I guess Ill give the oak another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.