Planning on building a new home. Question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrib

Feb 9, 2009
NW Indiana
Hi all.

Have a Harman P68 in our existing home. We are planning on building a new home, and we like the P68 so much, plan on incorporating one into the new home.

In our current setup, we have a the stove venting directly outside, runs up 4-5 feet. It's tied to the vinyl siding on the home. All the pipe is outside. The current "thought" is that the new home will be all brick. What would folks recommend as the best install method. I would prefer to somehow hide the venting pipe, put it all outside, instead of venting up in the home, then out. Could we build a small brick chimney and vent up through that? Are we better off going with a full out chimney?

Also, I have direct access to the T clean out. I would think I'd want that also in the new setup? Just not sure how this would work on an all brick home.

Thanks all.

a smalled framed chase on the exterior?
u know like a bump out.
finished with the same material as the rest of the house.
although that mite make replacement difficult.

That is a big pellet stove and could well be grossly oversized for a new build, unless you are building something massive and very open plan.

Como said:
That is a big pellet stove and could well be grossly oversized for a new build, unless you are building something massive and very open plan.

Our home is pretty open now, and my wife wants to keep it open in the new.

The P68 heats all the rooms, first and second floor now and I would expect it to be able to do it in the new.

Make sure you use plenty of insulation.

Brick is just like poured concrete a large heat sucking thermal mass.

I took all brick as being the outside appearance. it has been a long time since solid brick has been used.

Your first step would be to ascertain the heat loss demand. That will dictate the heating system sizing etc.

Here is how I would do a new build.

I would install a heat pump system so that I ahd a good air handler and the AC system.
With this comes a good reliable heating system that will keep the inspectors happy and make the house easy to sell at a later date.

Now, the pellet stove, Ahhhhh yesss, my favorite way to heat.

I would build a hearth in a setting that allows easy access to the outside and do a direct vent system.

This makes it easy as pie to do a quicky cleaning of the pipe and stove.

A way kewl hearth can be built to look like brick using some tweaky Faux Painting tricks.

As much as a tall chimney has its points, you could not sell me one on a bet after having two stoves with direct vents.

Very little pipe needed and soooooo easy to clean.

The cost for this entire hearth, stove, pipe and all was about $400

I did the work myself, even making the horse shoe brackets for the mantle.

The tile on the hearth came from a "habitat for humanity store"
Lumber was new from the Home depot.
The vent pipe came from a local wholesale supplier
The stove was a score from Craigs list
Paint came from the local hardware store.

Total time to do the entire project was a couple weeks.

Here are a few pics of one of our stoves.

Snowy

Attachments

• 2T1.jpg
    2T1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 2T.jpg
    2T.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 299
Build hearth and install wall thimble at time of construction. pipe straight out to a tee then up 3-4 ft. to a 90 w/ term cap. simplest way and most effeicent. You could paint pipe on ext. to make it blend in better. Stove adapter, 2' pipe approx.,tee, term cap. p61 or p68 wouyld both be great stoves.

In my State you're not allowed to put a pellet or wood stove in a new house.

Checkthisout said:

WOW! What ashame!

Checkthisout said:

Is that as a primary heating source or at all?

I have a feeling that a lot of states don't accept them as the primary heating device in new construction.

WhitePine said:
Checkthisout said:

I have a feeling that a lot of states don't accept them as the primary heating device in new construction.

Didn't think of that .... I hope that is what it is.... I think it wld be ashame to build and not put what you want.... that's why we build..

iceman said:
WhitePine said:
Checkthisout said:

Didn't think of that .... I hope that is what it is.... I think it wld be ashame to build and not put what you want.... that's why we build..

It's might be a technicality. All you can do is call whoever will be doing the inspection. They probably cannot "final" the structure if a pellet stove is in there. There is probably nothing stopping you from putting one in after it's built.

Panhandler said:
Checkthisout said:

What state would that be?

Washington State.

I think we have the strictest energy codes in the country even though I think we have one of cheapest electrical and NG rates nationwide.

Pellet people:
I did a google search on Washington State and pellet stove and found an interesting link:

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/pubs/fa91126.pdf

Our friend, 'Checkthisout' is correct - Washington state does have some strict limitations at 'certain times' and 'certain places' on pellet stove and other wood burning stove use - for air quality purposes. I would assume this is in the larger cities -- but Opps - we're talking Washington state - 'What large city is there?' :) Just funnin' ya, Mr. Check...

RonB

Can a Harman P68 be controlled from a wall thermostat? If I turn the thermostat off, would it shut the stove off, or do you still need to control it from the stove?

Harman's website doesn't say much.

Status
Not open for further replies.