plans or tips for outdoor firewood rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
i got permission from the wife for another area on our property to have stacks..but she says they have to be neat....so i wanna do some racks...im thinking 8 ft long by 4ft high....the 2x4 racks is what i have in my mind....ive built one of these in a smaller version....will the bigger version be as strong?..post some pics of urs if u dont mind...and any tips would be nice...i dont wanna buy the brackets..i will be doing a bunch of em and dont wanna have 200 dollars in brackets...thanks

I did 4.5 tall x12 long (little over half cord).

Although I used the Rutland Stack-n-store brackets.. Just be sure to brace the sides well. And I added a 2x4 across the top. To help stabilize and keep the end posts from bowing out. The principles are about the same, with or without the brackets. I still have 6 more sets in my garage...... Waiting to be built.

Click to enlarge

2012-07-17_19-26-29_852.jpg 2012-07-17_19-27-46_88.jpg

Or some skids and T-posts? They can look good to?

I figured many more would chime in on this one.

They don't have to be racks to look good. But last year I was a NEWB (had a fireplace for yrs and pellet stoves, but not an actual wood stove). In my rack area, I lined with landscaping timbers and laid River rock down. The wife wanted it to look good because of the close proximity to the house.

skid2.jpg skid1.jpg

I cut some cedar posts, buried them about a foot and used some heavy gauge wire between the posts to keep them from blowing out. I also ca make the wire off that way it's not in the way when the rack is empty.

dexter come stack for me...those look as good as any sculpture ive seen....my wood isnt straight enuf to acheive stacks like that

holzsm2.jpg
If you really want to impress her do one of these Holtz Hauzens. For the most part I stack like Dennis, but these are the real conversation pieces.

Dexters stacks are as nice as they come. So there's your inspiration. Go get'em! Mine on the other hand look like crap.

Or some skids and T-posts? They can look good to?

I figured many more would chime in on this one.

They don't have to be racks to look good. But last year I was a NEWB (had a fireplace for yrs and pellet stoves, but not an actual wood stove). In my rack area, I lined with landscaping timbers and laid River rock down. The wife wanted it to look good because of the close proximity to the house.

View attachment 70482 View attachment 70481
So where do you hide the uglies and short cutoffs?
Those are perfect stacks

So where do you hide the uglies and short cutoffs?
Those are perfect stacks

I try to fit most in the stacks. But a lot go in-between the stacks. I will post a pic tomorrow for proof....

I only made them perfect because of the "Standard" thats set here..... Are my stacks straight? Yeah....

But are there better stacks .. .. .. ? ? Absolutely. . Mine are amateur compared to some :(

Status
Not open for further replies.