Please advise on a log splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2010
Virginia
I'll rent one for now but I wanna have an idea of what I need so I can start shopping.
I want a "home owner" unit that will handle 20" dia or less . I have no designs on a commercial style piece of equipment. I see measurements in tons and HP but I don't know what would be recommended for a back yard splitter.
I also see options of electric, gas and compressed air. I can probably eliminate electric and air though because I don't wanna drag around a power cord or air line.
I don't feel the need to impress anyone with my splitter so I'm looking for recommendations on something middle of the road and economical.
Also please advise on features that are minimal.

20 ton will do fine for you around 1000.00 new.

People laugh at my 1970's vintage 12-ton Didier splitter. I can laugh back now that I have around 8 cords split/stacked.

Shari

Shari said:
People laugh at my 1970's vintage 12-ton Didier splitter. I can laugh back now that I have around 8 cords split/stacked.

Shari
Wow ! took You that long to split 8 cords ? :)

Nixon said:
Shari said:

Shari

+1 and hehehehehehehe!

smokinjay said:
Nixon said:
Shari said:

Shari

+1 and hehehehehehehe!

Ha! Ha! You could take my wording that way! Actually, since last fall and last week we 'did up' the 8 cords. We are old/retired and therefore don't work too fast/too many hours per day - our splitter fits us fine. :)

Shari

Shari said:
smokinjay said:
Nixon said:
Shari said:

Shari

+1 and hehehehehehehe!

Ha! Ha! You could take my wording that way! Actually, since last fall and last week we 'did up' the 8 cords. We are old/retired and therefore don't work too fast/too many hours per day - our splitter fits us fine. :)

Shari

Pic's or it never happened!

smokinjay said:
Shari said:
smokinjay said:
Nixon said:
Shari said:

Shari

+1 and hehehehehehehe!

Shari

Pic's or it never happened!

In a different thread pics will be coming - don't want to hijack this thread.

Shari

20 ton = 4" cylinder, and usually 11gpm pump and a 5-6hp engine. This will get the job done for you.

The Speeco units at TSC seem to do well for the money, and are preferable to the Chinese ones that Harbor Freight sells for a hundred bucks less.

chris-mcpherson said:
I can probably eliminate electric and air though because I don't wanna drag around a power cord

I wouldn't necessarily rule out electric. There have been many good reviews on these:

http://ramsplitter.com/ModelHV20.html

For me, there is no downside to the cord as all my wood gets split in one place directly adjacent to my shed. Electric power has its benefits especially with something that doesn't get used that often.

chris-mcpherson said:
I'll rent one for now but I wanna have an idea of what I need so I can start shopping.
I want a "home owner" unit that will handle 20" dia or less . I have no designs on a commercial style piece of equipment. I see measurements in tones and HP but I don't know what would be recommended for a back yard splitter.
I also see options of electric, gas and compressed air. I can probably eliminate electric and air though because I don't wanna drag around a power cord or air line.
I don't feel the need to impress anyone with my splitter so I'm looking for recommendations on something middle of the road and economical.
Also please advise on features that are minimal.

If you're looking for a basic, relatively-inexpensive hydraulic splitter that should handle most everything you can throw at it (not that I would throw wood at my splitter) you'll want a 20-22 ton gas-powered splitter . . . and unless you're looking at buying one from a catalog you're most likely looking at either a Huskee/Speeco which is sold at Tractor Supply or a MTD/White/Cub Cadet/Troy Bilt/Other Clones which are sold in many, many places. I would look around, look at the features and then flip a coin . . . you really can't go wrong with either brand since there are fans of both makes here.

Like many folks I waffled back and forth on what features I wanted and what engine to get . . . and in the end simply went with the closest supplier who also happened to have the best price . . . as it turned out it was the local True Value Hardware store.

I think you're wise to get a gas-powered unit . . . they're pretty powerful, simple and it's nice to simply hook on to one and move it wherever you want . . . or even drag it out to the woodlot (although splitters don't tow really all that great.)

There are a few features to consider . . . a feature I might find highly desirable, others may not find all that useful and vice versa.

4-way wedges: These slip over the cutting wedge to allow you to split the wood into four pieces instead of 2 pieces which should speed up the work. Folks that have these tend to like them.

Ability to go from horizontal splitting to vertical: If you don't have a splitter with a log lifter this is highly desirable . . . and in fact some members feel that splitting vertically is the easiest and best way . . . but even if you prefer to split with the beam in the horizontal position the ability to move the splitter into a vertical position is wicked handy if you have some monster sized wood that would cause you to burst an appendix if you tried to lift it on to the beam.

Log Lifter: Some splitters have an option that allow you to lift the log on to a mechanism which can then lift it on to the beam.

Cradles and Tables: Cradles and tables help hold the freshly split wood so you can resplit a piece without having to bend over and retrieve it on the ground.

Trailer Lights: For road use while towing around town . . . my splitter came with these . . . I doubt I will ever install them.

-----------

Engines and cycle times: A lot of folks spend a lot of time considering what powers the splitter. Generally, it seems most folks really like the Honda engines, but truthfully I've had pretty good luck so far with my Briggs & Stratton engine . . . and if something does go kaput on it I figure getting the parts or simply throwing another engine on to it should not be overly expensive.

As for cycle times . . . many folks are all about fast cycle times . . . however my own feeling is that even "slower" splitters work faster than I could with an ax or maul . . . and sometimes working a bit slower is a good thing when we're talking about keeping all of my fingers . . . plus as others have pointed out it is rare that you have to actually run the splitting ram all the way to the wedge to split the wood.

You

Thanks to your advice I have it narrowed down to four choices:

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.lowes.com/pd_116418-270-24BF572B711_4294859118_4294937087?productId=1005417&Ns=p_product_quantity_sold|0&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Chain+SawsC+Chippers+and+Splitters_4294859118_4294937087_?newSearch=true$ddkey=http:productDisplay$Ns=p_product_quantity_sold|0

http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoo...itters/huskee-reg-28-ton-log-splitter-2152374

http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoo...itters/huskee-reg-22-ton-log-splitter-1032822

I like the price of the last one but it has a Briggs & Stratton motor and a .3 gal gas tank. I like to stay away from B&G when I can and would like a larger fuel tank.

Do any of these stand out to you as a better choice?

Although I have not used the Ariens it would be my first choice for three reasons. Work height , least obstructed work area, and horizontal Subaru/ Robin engine.

Second choice would be the 22 ton Huskee. It has been around a long time and has received few complaints. It will have a faster cycle time than the other splitters listed.

chris-mcpherson said:
Thanks to your advice I have it narrowed down to four choices:

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.lowes.com/pd_116418-270-24BF572B711_4294859118_4294937087?productId=1005417&Ns=p_product_quantity_sold|0&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Chain+SawsC+Chippers+and+Splitters_4294859118_4294937087_?newSearch=true$ddkey=http:productDisplay$Ns=p_product_quantity_sold|0

http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoo...itters/huskee-reg-28-ton-log-splitter-2152374

http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoo...itters/huskee-reg-22-ton-log-splitter-1032822

I like the price of the last one but it has a Briggs & Stratton motor and a .3 gal gas tank. I like to stay away from B&G when I can and would like a larger fuel tank.

Do any of these stand out to you as a better choice?

I think all of them would work for you . . .

Ariens: Hmmm . . . first design type like this that I've seen . . . at first glance I thought it was one of the MTD clones, but the hydraulic oil tank seems to be different than most MTDs. I haven't really heard of anyone using any Ariens splitters, but the Robin/Subaru engine is highly rated.

Troy Bilt: Again, part of the MTD & Clone family. Pretty much the splitters are the same . . . just different doo-dads and engines. If you like Honda engines and want a little more power this might be a good choice . . . it does bear repeating that all Honda engines are not the same . . . I remember reading here awhile back that some Honda engines are made to different specs -- however I can't remember the differences.

Huskee with the Honda: Probably more power than you need, but it does have the Honda engine.

Huskee with the Briggs: A lot of good folks here have this Huskee splitter and love it . . . I wouldn't sweat too much over the Briggs engine . . . or the smaller gas tank . . . they last plenty long enough and honestly it's kind of nice to take a break once in a while to refill the tank, grab a drink, admire your pile of wood, etc.

Not all Briggs and Stratton engines are the same either. I love the intek engines but I'm suspicious of what they put into a vertical engine that they're only willing to rate at "190cc"-I've got fruit jars I can rate better than that. If you want it to last make sure it has a cast iron cylinder liner, and a quality carb.

I'm going to TSC today to get the 22 ton Huskee. So what if it has a B&S motor....I am probably worrying over nothin'.
I'm guessing that in the under 2k price range they're all pretty much the same quality. If I was getting into the pro end of things and spending 3k or more I would worry about the engine. I'll use the money I'm saving to buy safety equipment ( I've always wanted a pair of chaps ;) ) and other goodies.
Thanks guys for the advice and putting up with my green questions.
Oh...by the way, my stove guy came over yesterday to look at the job! I expect to get a price on the install in the next day or so.
His opinion is that I don't have to do ANY remodeling at all! He's gonna put the chimney straight up through the bump out as is. I'll have the option of enclosing it all in the future if I wanna, though... I doubt that will ever happen. He definitely advised against the inside chase due to variables and unseen obstacles.

It all depends on what you want to do with it, how fast you want to do it and how much you are willing to spend. An unbreakable fast splitter is going to cost some money.

I think you made a good choice. I have the 28 ton splitter and it is slooooooow. But it gets the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.