Please help me Id this wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PARKBOY

Dec 24, 2010
CENTRAL KY
104_0812.jpg
104_0813-1.jpg

thanks

I tend to agree with locust, be nice to see the bark to be sure.

krex1010 said:
I tend to agree with locust, be nice to see the bark to be sure.

Here you go.
104_0817.jpg

104_0816.jpg

104_0814.jpg

104_0818.jpg

Mulberry? Need to see the end grain.

Nice pics!
Looks like black locust

wow I didnt know there was so many woods that is this yellow, I thought this would be an easy one.

PARKBOY said:
wow I didnt know there was so many woods that is this yellow, I thought this would be an easy one.

It is an easy one mulberry and locust look pretty close but the bark on locust is more corse. If you have any smaller limbs just look for small thorns.

Hedge Apple (Osage Orange)

525fury said:

That is what it is suppose to be but I know nothing about wood and wanted to see what the experts think.

PARKBOY said:
525fury said:

That is what it is suppose to be but I know nothing about wood and wanted to see what the experts think.

Mostly just fire wood guys here..At least me. 3 woods are yellow. Mulberry locust and hedge. All three have been guessed. All tree are very good fire wood.

smokinjay said:
PARKBOY said:
525fury said:

Mostly just fire wood guys here..At least me. 3 woods are yellow. Mulberry locust and hedge. All three have been guessed. All tree are very good fire wood.

Thanks alot. So is it ok to assume if its yellow its good wood?

Looks just like Osage Orange (Hedge Apple) to me. we get quite a bit around here and the bark looks just like that. Always very yellow almost orange when fresh cut. Were there any of the big green "apple" things around on the ground or did you buy the wood?

fortydegnorth said:
Looks just like Osage Orange (Hedge Apple) to me. we get quite a bit around here and the bark looks just like that. Always very yellow almost orange when fresh cut. Were there any of the big green "apple" things around on the ground or did you buy the wood?

No i didnt buy the wood but I got it already cut but not split and not where the trees were. I can tell you one more thing that may help or maybe not is that this wood sparks ALOT anytime the door on the stove is opened.

I think the sparking is somewhat typical with all three woods mentioned. I know osage and mulberry throw the sparkler treatment quite well. I've had them shoot out five or six feet and then explode into a little fire work display. Makes closing the door a very fast movement when it happens. Thankfully I don't have carpet in the room with the insert.

I vote for osage orange. The bark has an orange tint to it.

I don't have personal experience seasoning locust but have heard it's like ash and will season fairly quick. One summer in the sun and wind with it being split and you should be good to go.

PARKBOY said:
sm said:
PARKBOY said:
525fury said:

Everything in the mid-west anyways.

I don't think it looks like Black Locust. I think Mulbery or Osage Orange. This will be great firewood especially if you can season it at least a year, two would be great.

smokinjay said:
PARKBOY said:
sm said:
PARKBOY said:
525fury said:

Everything in the mid-west anyways.

+1

Mulberry vs Osage Orange (Hedge): A couple thoughts about the color of the wood when fresh cut and seasoned.
Both woods are similarly colored yellow when freshly cut - one thing I have noticed is that Osage Orange will have some areas that are quite purple/pink within the split. You can see this in the first pictures posted. Once seasoned, Osage Orange wood will retain an orange color while mulberry tends to turn dark purple.

CJRages said:
Mulberry vs Osage Orange (Hedge): A couple thoughts about the color of the wood when fresh cut and seasoned.
Both woods are similarly colored yellow when freshly cut - one thing I have noticed is that Osage Orange will have some areas that are quite purple/pink within the split. You can see this in the first pictures posted. Once seasoned, Osage Orange wood will retain an orange color while mulberry tends to turn dark purple.

Huh never noticed that purple/pink in there until you brought it to me attention. Tomorrow i will look and see if there is more that has that.

Status
Not open for further replies.