please help! No damper and need to install a liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wowser

Nov 12, 2011
southern california
Hi folks. I'd really appreciate some help with a fireplace insert install. I just ordered a Century insert and have an old fireplace (from around 1940) that has no damper. The flue is just a row of bricks that go all the way across the box with a 3" gap.

My question is, how do I open that up to allow a 6" liner pipe to go through? My first thoughts would be to carefully chisel the mortar around a few bricks and remove them to open up a hole. Or possible use a cutting tool to chip away at the area.

The other thing is there's an ash dump with no door. Do I need to cover that before installing the insert?

Thanks so much!!!

Attachments

• P1030368.jpg
    P1030368.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 191
  • P1030371.jpg
    P1030371.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 212
  • P1030372.jpg
    P1030372.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 216
Wow, it does not look like there is much of an opening there, if you feel with your hand can you tell how much you need to chisel? Did you flash a light, can you?, from the top of the chimney down, to make sure you can fit a liner? What is the size of your chimney Terra Cotta clay tile? The opening.

You would definitely need to chisel the bricks, the question is how many of the bricks you need to remove, the liner is somewhat flexible but you would need a more or less straight opening path to run it up and down.

Describe the pics you post - uncertain about how the last 2 pics are positioned. Cheers!

Thanks for the responses. The bottom two photos were taken with the camera laying on the floor of the fireplace and looking straight up. You can see my bald pate and arm in one! The two metal bands are brackets to hold the firescreen on.

You can see there's a narrow gap, about 3" across the whole firebox that is the flue. If I feel my hand up there, it's a ledge that is made up of the bricks, so it goes pretty deep, about 5". Not sure if I should try chiseling away at the brick or take them out. I took the chimney cap off and looked down. It curves a bit about 3' down, so I can't see straight down. It's a pretty big opening at 12" x 13" with bricks going all the way down. Hoping the flexi s.s. liner I bought will go down the curve okay.

Also, no comments on the ash dump. Do I need to cover it or just put the insert over it? Thanks!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.