PLease Help!! -- Putting a bigger pellet stove in the basement and tying into my ductwork...???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atracksler

Apr 13, 2011
Kittery, ME
Im getting a pellet stove. I know that for sure.

My house is about 1200 SqFt.

My living room is pretty much the only room that I could put a stove in, its not huge, and putting a stove in there would require some serious re-jiggering of the furniture and artwork...(I'd prefer to avoid this - if possible)

I have space in my basement next to my oil furnace that I could easily put and vent a stove.

I figure I could easily get a bigger stove and I wouldnt have to care one way or the other what it looked like (since SWMBO thinks pretty much every pellet stove is dead ugly, except the accentra - which I am having a tough time finding used..) and put it in the basement and tie it into the ductwork, and maybe even use the blower motor from the furnace, or put a blower into the ductwork going from the pellet stove into the main house ductwork.

I found a couple of Breckwell Big E Furnaces near me that are in my budget range. Can I tie this into my ductwork? Is there another model that I should be looking at?

Any and all advice is gladly taken!!

Thanks, ad

Look to the Heatilator line, CAB50 for the Big E copy. PS50 for the large freestander.

The blower on the freestanders run around 120 CFM and that is not enough to blow into the duct work. Use a stove to do a stove's job and a Furnace to do a furnace's job.

Eric

The bigE isn't really a furnace. And they have down graded the max BTU rating from 55K to 45K BTU's. They also took the connecting duct work suggestion out of the manual. There are several real furnaces you can connect to your duct work, The St Croix Revolution is probably the best bang for the buck.

Hello

There are 3 models with flanges for connecting ductwork. These stoves are PERFECT for Basement Installs!

I would Luv to try the Ecotek Laura, but do not have the money right now to make such a big change!!!
http://www.ecoteck.us/wood-pellet-stoves/laura.php

http://www.ecoteck.us/ducted-heat/

Description of “Ducted Wood Pellet Stoves†from Ecoteck in above link.

The Ecoteck wood pellet stove range also includes 3 ducted units for people who want more even heat diffusion throughout the home. Ducts conveys heat from one room to another and distributes it throughout the home, spreading the stove’s warmth over as wide an area as possible.

Models equipped with the air canalization use 2 pipes, 3.15 Inches in diameter, to service other rooms. Depending on the model, the delivery of the air for canalization can be in the top or in the bottom part.

In the Elena Airplus, the second fan for the air canalization, can be activated simply by pushing the button on the display.

In the Laura & Veronica, there is the possibility to adjust the front and back air delivery by adjusting a lever.

More info on Ecoteck Laura 11kW Ducted Stove
Ducted Heating with wood pellets
Wood pellets are one of the few truly environmentally friendly ways to heat. Ducted stoves have a two extra warm air outputs at the rear of the unit and these can be connected to aluminum ducts routed other rooms in the property. A simple mechanical flap controls the ratio of air coming into the main room compared with the air being diverted to the back. All wood pellet stoves require a 13amp electrical connection.

Attachments

• DuctedWoodPelletStoves.jpg
    DuctedWoodPelletStoves.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 767
Not sure what your budget is, but you may want to see if there is an Enerzone dealer close to you and look at the Euromax. Its a $4000 or so stove but it may fit the bill. Enerzone has the best warranty program I have ever seen in 27 years and that makes me a very loyal dealer.

If you are looking for a Furnace , then go for the Furnace. Stoves in the basement can be done. But you will be happy "re-jiggering" the furniture, and putting the heat where you will spend most of your time. Buying used is always a viable option. If found cheap enough (Got my Englander for $300 w/half ton of pellets) you could buy 2 stoves. A lot of used stoves come with the Flue pipe and the hearth. Unless they are just upgrading, most will throw everything into the deal. 2 Freestandings would be nice. Put the Large one downstairs and the small one upstairs. . . . But if looking to "Duct" it in. Go the Furnace route.

Word of caution. In order to connect anything to your furnace duct work the appliance must be certified as an add on. I am not aware of any pellet stove that are certified as such. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The Enerzone Euromax is a 70,000 BTU bottom feed that has an option to intall 2 runs of 25 ft flexible insulated duct. So in effect it becomes a small furnace. Blower is 465 cfm. However it is not certified as an add on to connect to your existing plenum.

Status
Not open for further replies.