please, quick advice needed! Pocketbook depends on it!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyandmacsmom

So I have the opportunity to get Curran's for $269/ton delivered, or get Home Depots special at $196/ton, and then I have to pay for delivery. I'll be getting 3 tons, so it'll work out to $221/ton of the home depot specials. Which ones should I purchase? I live in Vermont, so it gets cold (heat needed) for my house by the beginning of October. My first inclination says go cheap, because thats extra $ to go towards something else, but on the other hand, I don't want to go cheap if it is that great of a sacrifice to the quality of pellets and heat. Thanks for your help!
Miranda

The rep on the phone said the curran was an 80/20 blend of soft/hardwood. I'm going to give Lowes a call right now to see what they have available if anything; Nope, Lowes has nothing and won't have until the next three trucks come in. Their's will be $197/ton, and they aren't sure which brands as of yet. I do know when I purchased a couple of "gotta try my new pellet stove out" bags in May they were the Inferno's, which I have a bad feeling they'll be again. And those STINK, literally.

I dont know then, need someone from your neck of the woods to chime in. I sold the Curran blend and it was an ok pellet, but not much better than most of the big box store stuff. Now we sell the softwood Currans and love them.

MirandaB. said:
......or get Home Depots special at $196/ton, and then I have to pay for delivery.....

As was asked above, what brand does HD have?? If they are the Stove Chow, they are a pretty good pellet, based on last winters reports. The Curran's weren't all that great.

I don't know what brand home depot has. On their website, it lists I think three different ones that are for the $196/ton. They have Maine Woods, Bayou, Blazer and some no name for my "home" store. I'm not sure which one they actually have at the store that you can prebuy, I won't know until I make the decision which place I want to go through. I have to pay obviously when I prebuy, AT the store; the store is a good 45 minutes from my house at least, and I don't want to use my gas unless I have to to get there.

MirandaB. said:
I don't know what brand home depot has. On their website, it lists I think three different ones that are for the $196/ton. They have Maine Woods, Bayou, Blazer and some no name for my "home" store. I'm not sure which one they actually have at the store that you can prebuy, I won't know until I make the decision which place I want to go through. I have to pay obviously when I prebuy, AT the store; the store is a good 45 minutes from my house at least, and I don't want to use my gas unless I have to to get there.

Wow -
If they have Blazers for $196.00/ton, sell all your furniture and fill your entire house, garage, basement, car, shed and your neighbors house too with pallets of pellets!! You will be rich beyond your wildest dreams re-selling them for $300.00+ per ton! Probably in the top 3 of all pellets in the known universe!

EarlyMan

The HD site does not always accurately show what they have locally. I burned a lot of Maine's Choice last year and was pleasently surprised.
They burned as hot as any pellet I tried and the ash was pretty good too.

We called HD back, and the only pellets they are getting in are Stove Chow. I hate the internet sometimes. Argghhh...so it looks like we'll probably go with Maine's Choice, a middle of the road kind of deal. Or maybe get two of those and one of the curran? Decisions, decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.