Poison Ivy on Trunk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
I have dealt with a limited amount of poison ivy vine on the trunks of firewood and have never suffered from an associated poison ivy rash. I do react to poison ivy.

Today I took a survey of some woods at the back of my property and noted two dead trees, White Ash most likely species, that had blown over and are leaning against a nearby tree. One, with a single trunk about 14" diameter at the bottom and perhaps at least 6" at 40 feet up has large dead poison ivy vines over most of its length. These vines must be 3" in diameter and hairy, and were cut to break connection to the ground three or four years ago. My question is: Do poison ivy vines that have been dead and exposed to open air for more than one year still have active irritant in/on them?

Wood looks like too good for firewood to leave for the natural 20 year decay process, so I plan to harvest.

Thanks,
Jerry

Even when dead, the oils contained in poison ivy are persistant and will hang around for a looong time.
Probably not as potent as a live vine, but I would be careful nonetheless. Especially if you're real allergic.

Best way I have found to remove the vines from tree trunks is to use plastic bread wrappers. Put you hand all the way into the bag, grab the vine and pull the bag inside out and seal it.

I was just in the same position, I cut the vine 2 years ago and it was still stuck to the tree when I just cut/split it......I got 'poison', I was as careful as I could be, with the saw dust and such flying around. It wasnt as bad as dealing with a 'live' one.

I hate poison ivy

This thread inspired me. I have a huge oak here by the house that the top blew out of a few years ago. I have stayed away from dropping the trunk because of two huge poison ivy vines running up the side that I clipped to kill last year.

After reading this I just went out and tied a rope to the vines and the garden tractor and pulled them and the bark off of that side of the tree. That dude is headed for the woodpile tomorrow.

I'll tell ya, I'm just itchin' to get my hands on some of that stuff! :lol: Rick

fossil said:
I'll tell ya, I'm just itchin' to get my hands on some of that stuff! :lol: Rick

Just PM me your mailing address. I have a thirty foot strip of it laying in the edge of the woods now. When the dope sniffing dog at the postal distribution center takes a whiff he will be running away in pain.

And I will be doing 7-10 at Club Fed.

I once sold a cord of wood to a customer.There was poison ivy growing around the wood pile,I thought nothing of it.I ran into him a while later and I asked him how the wood was.He told me the wood was great,strange thing was they all had poison ivy.He asked me if you could catch it mid winter?I just kept my mouth shut

Thanks, I'll take care. I am not hyper-allergenic to poison ivy, but it does affect me, more so the older I get.

NHFarmer raises an "interesting" extra dimension, poison ivy oils on firewood that one doesn't know about. This applies to those who think simply removing the vine is sufficient...handle the subject splits with some protection on. Well, maybe if the bark is also removed the splits will be safe for bare hands.

What about a "controlled burn"..? pick the right time and and pile a bunch of crap around the area and burn it. will only slightly char the soon to be firewood, but should obilerate the poison ivy. blackened vines don`t carry no poison juice, eh??

I have cut trees with P.I after I'm finished I wash really well with soap and water. I hate getting it on me.

sonnyinbc said:
What about a "controlled burn"..? pick the right time and and pile a bunch of crap around the area and burn it. will only slightly char the soon to be firewood, but should obilerate the poison ivy. blackened vines don`t carry no poison juice, eh??

I have heard of cases where people have had a poison ivy reaction internally due to burning poison ivy in a burn pile.

For sure never put wood with poison ivy in a stove or fireplace. Lots of documented proof available that when burned the stuff will get into your lungs and you will never feel such pain from anything in your life. If you live.

Now if you stay inside all the time and have a neighbor that you really hate....

Every year I enjoy the privilege of the best fishing spot on the Shenandoah River available at a friends place. It is in the middle of a lush patch of poison ivy and has no effect on me. The rest of the guys won't go near it. But I fully realize that even though you think you are "immune" that anybody can screw up and get knocked to their knees by that stuff.

Especially by burning it and breathing it.

I just cut the base of the poison ivy vine with a handsaw....let sit for several months and then use gloves to remove it from the trunk.

Also, kill the young ones with Ortho Brush-B-Gon - works great. Don't waste your time with Round Up or other general herbicides - you need brush killer.

Pete

Ok, is pulling the vine off of the trunk enough to allow burning the trunk? Sounds like there is a chance the vine will leave some oil on the trunk when the vine is removed...will burning the "small" amount of ivy oil cause respiratory problems.?

Jerry_NJ said:
Ok, is pulling the vine off of the trunk enough to allow burning the trunk? Sounds like there is a chance the vine will leave some oil on the trunk when the vine is removed...will burning the "small" amount of ivy oil cause respiratory problems.?

I will be able to tell you winter after next.

I think the trunk of another tree will be fine, especially after sitting for a summer if possible. Urushiol (the poison in the ivy) does break down, especially in the sun and at elevated temperatures.

I have burned a lot of brush that was touching poison ivy with no ill effects - BUT I let the stuff sit for a season and I do not burn the poison ivy.

Pete

For goodness sake!! I meant to say, burn it outside where it resides. Pile lots of crumbs-aka needles, cones etc around it, and then a little diesel. then torch it. stand by with a hose, "water filled" of course. Let it fry, so it chares the wood a little ,, big deal.

Ivy is gone, wood is only charred on the outside, and then you can split it to your heart`s content -- rash free.

sonnyinbc said:
For goodness sake!! I meant to say, burn it outside where it resides. Pile lots of crumbs-aka needles, cones etc around it, and then a little diesel. then torch it. stand by with a hose, "water filled" of course. Let it fry, so it chares the wood a little ,, big deal.

Ivy is gone, wood is only charred on the outside, and then you can split it to your heart`s content -- rash free.

Don't burn it any way anywhere. I am starting to think this Canuck wants to hurt Yanks!

BrotherBart said:
sonnyinbc said:

Don't burn it any way anywhere. I am starting to think this Canuck wants to hurt Yanks!

You ain`t a Yank, so what are you worried about :)

sonnyinbc said:
...You ain`t a Yank, so what are you worried about :)

Well, technically, since 1865 he is. Haven't you heard Lee Greenwood sing about it? :eek:hh: Rick

fossil said:
sonnyinbc said:
...You ain`t a Yank, so what are you worried about :)

Well, technically, since 1865 he is. Haven't you heard Lee Greenwood sing about it? :eek:hh: Rick

I haven`t Rick, but will wikopedia it. However, I have an old album kicking around somewhere where there is a song about "Southern`s Never Yield".. Think it is called (The Homespun Dress). words like- I envy not the northern girl where jewels bedeck her hair, but rather prefer the homespun dress that southern girls wear, or something like that.

Anyway, you are forgeting that BB is not really a Virginian,he is a Texas transplant, and after that war was over , most of those boys hightailed to Mexico, rather than surrender. And if you look at his posts, he ain`t surrendered to no one. No Sir, that boy is not the surrendering type. Evil as he is ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.