Poison Ivy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Had some on a hickory trunk and fresh cut this stuff is mean any good remedies out there?

smokinjay said:
Had some on a hickory trunk and fresh cut this stuff is mean any good remedies out there?

You can start with an antihistimine....I got it bad and had to go to the dr for a script last year.
Calamine can help temporarily for the itching....but it doesn't last long.
Good luck

SJ, If it gets on your face/neck...really call up the Dr...nothing to take lightly.
I had a few spots one day, and then the next I knew it was getting everywhere....I think its like a 4-7 incubation period, you more will probably turn up.
Again, just my advice.

daveswoodhauler said:
SJ, If it gets on your face/neck...really call up the Dr...nothing to take lightly.
I had a few spots one day, and then the next I knew it was getting everywhere....I think its like a 4-7 incubation period, you more will probably turn up.
Again, just my advice.

Its on my neck if it gets any worse, That is what I will do...

Well sorry I won't tell you my redneck cure as it is not doctor approved and may not be safe.

I am quite sensitive to PI. And have gotten rashes just from mowing the lawn. But I have found using the womens shower jell from Bath and Body works with aloe vera. The oil in it blocks it for me and keeps me from getting it in the first place. Yea I know now but my sister got it for me as a Christmas present and I did not know until I went to get more.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Well sorry I won't tell you my redneck cure as it is not doctor approved and may not be safe.

I am quite sensitive to PI. And have gotten rashes just from mowing the lawn. But I have found using the womens shower jell from Bath and Body works with aloe vera. The oil in it blocks it for me and keeps me from getting it in the first place. Yea I know now but my sister got it for me as a Christmas present and I did not know until I went to get more.

Billy

lol At this point I would try it!

Cowboy Billy said:

Billy

Dig it open and pour bleach on it???...burns like a mutha but does dry it up.

Jay, like said above, if its on any thing above the shoulders or covered by a jock strap, your best bet is a Dr. visit for some roids to clear it up. Legs and arms can be tinkered on with cleaning and drying.

+1 on the Tecnu.... That stuff works great! Any time i even think i've been exposed to ivy i wash up with it and no ivy rash.

There's also a couple soaps out there that can help dry up the rash. I cant remember the names right now though...

Diaper rash cream works pretty good!

Ivy Super Dry is what I have used. I think you can get it at any drug store like Walgreens and Cvs. It help dry it out after the fact.

I am seeing a lot of ticks, down here.

Shipper

SJ I use tecnu and for me it's the next best thing to a doctors visit. You're supposed to wash with it when your done cutting but I just apply it and leave it on...it drys up nice without that scummy feel.

My wife is extremely allergic to poison ivy and poison oak.....A friend told us to mix a small bottle of plain aspirin (30-50 pills) in a bottle of 90% rubbing alcohol and shake well so the aspirin will melt..then apply to the rash every hour or so. After applied and dry, it will leave a white residue, DO NOT WIPE OFF, this is the aspirin which works as a pain reliever.
It worked really well on hers and it also is really good for stopping the itch caused by insect bites, chiggers, ticks, etc.

I've used mechanics soap with pumice with good results. Just as it pulls grease out of your pores it does the same for the PI where it can be washed away.

Both "Cortizone 10" and "Ivarrest" ointments have worked fairly well for me. The steroid Cortizone is the active ingredient.

man, i'm glad I don't react to the stuff. If i did, I'd probably just drink enough beer so that it didn't bother me any more. sorry that's all I got for ya, Jay. hope it's quick to heal.

Danno77 said:
man, i'm glad I don't react to the stuff. If i did, I'd probably just drink enough beer so that it didn't bother me any more. sorry that's all I got for ya, Jay. hope it's quick to heal.
In my earler days thats how I would have dealt with it..lol much better today.

Jay, I do hope you get over that fast. It can be pretty darned uncomfortable.

I didn't even think about poison ivy but when rdust was here he told me it really bothered him a lot. Some of the wood we were throwing into his trailer had some on. I hadn't even noticed as the stuff usually doesn't bother me at all. I was sure hoping he didn't get anything from it and it appears he was okay. This year when splitting I took a lot of it off the wood and I never got an itch from it. Lucky, I guess.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, I do hope you get over that fast. It can be pretty darned uncomfortable.

I didn't even think about poison ivy but when rdust was here he told me it really bothered him a lot. Some of the wood we were throwing into his trailer had some on. I hadn't even noticed as the stuff usually doesn't bother me at all. I was sure hoping he didn't get anything from it and it appears he was okay. This year when splitting I took a lot of it off the wood and I never got an itch from it. Lucky, I guess.

I am sure I got this from the saw dust from cutting through it I knew it was there and never touch it, so be careful you dont really have to touch it if your cutting through it.

Aw, I hate to rain on all the home remedies being given, but I'm pretty sure that all such treatments have been proven not to work beyond just the power of suggestion The reason is because the toxin in poison ivy becomes permanently bonded to human skin within 10 minutes of exposure, and nothing you can do will then get it off. It starts a severe allergic reaction in the skin of the folks who are sensitive to it (supposedly 90% of the population) which eventually leads to the killing and sloughing of that skin.

Supposedly the best you can do is carry a bottle of rubbing alcohol with you, and if you think you've been exposed to PI, flush the skin with the rubbing alcohol. But as I said, after ten minutes, it's pointless.

Likewise, it's impossible to spread it on yourself after ten minutes. You cannot spread it after it starts to itch. If it seems to be spreading, its because the initial exposure was in those same areas.

And just a reminder, beware any fire that might contain PI. Breathing PI smoke can be fatal.

dave11 said:
Aw, I hate to rain on all the home remedies being given, but I'm pretty sure that all such treatments have been proven not to work beyond just the power of suggestion The reason is because the toxin in poison ivy becomes permanently bonded to human skin within 10 minutes of exposure, and nothing you can do will then get it off. It starts a severe allergic reaction in the skin of the folks who are sensitive to it (supposedly 90% of the population) which eventually leads to the killing and sloughing of that skin.

Supposedly the best you can do is carry a bottle of rubbing alcohol with you, and if you think you've been exposed to PI, flush the skin with the rubbing alcohol. But as I said, after ten minutes, it's pointless.

Likewise, it's impossible to spread it on yourself after ten minutes. You cannot spread it after it starts to itch. If it seems to be spreading, its because the initial exposure was in those same areas.

And just a reminder, beware any fire that might contain PI. Breathing PI smoke can be fatal.

Ten minutes is BS. I have a buddy who washes off after an hour or so with pretty good success. Obviously the sooner the better but I have never read anything about within 10 minutes.

This is from www.poisonivy.org

'Within a hour or so you should rinse with lots of cold water - like a garden hose. Hot water will open your pores and let the oil in. Taking shower could be a disaster (see my father's story, "Washing made it spread." (Later, after the oil is all absorbed or washed off, and you HAVE a big rash, hot showers can ease the itch for a few hours.)

For up to about 6 hours washing with alcohol may still help remove the oil, but many say that after 1/2 hour the oil has soaked in and you can't remove it.

The next day is really too late. Check with your doctor to see if early treatment can prevent the rash before it really starts.'

I have never had the pleasure of PI except for one day i spent pulling it out for hours. Must have been too much contact b/c i got a few spots on my legs. Next time i wont wear shorts.

The ten minutes limit is from a dermatology journal. You're free to believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.