Pole barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
Several months ago a friend of mine gave me a large quantity of "Q" decking, a very thick metal roofing. I was going to use it to cover my wood piles but several of you suggested that I build a wood shed with it. I really had no plans of doing that but after messing with the 10x4 sheets I found out how much of a pain that was due to their weight so I started giving the idea some thought. I am not a great carpenter so this was a big project for me. I am pleased to say that I just finished today and am very happy with the results. Now I can start processing wood again. The size was determined from the amount of roofing that I had. I wound up with a 30x30 unit with a 1foot drop on the roof. We don't get much snow so I am was thinking that this would be fine to shed water.

Attachments

• P3200117.jpg
    P3200117.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 357
  • P4020006.jpg
    P4020006.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 363
  • P4020026.jpg
    P4020026.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 361
WOW thats nice
When I first saw the pics, I thought: I hope he don't live in a snow area.
Then I read it.
Stack fire wood on the outside, on the up wind wall side, wood shed & walled in storage.
Heavy wind would be my only concern.
How long before you wall it in for a nice dry shop ? :)

Looks great and appropriately sized. Is there any deflection when you walk on it with your rafter spacing ?

I would get a double stack of wood on the walls south and east from floor to ceiling before the hurricane season hits. That is alot of sail you have there. At least floor to ceiling on those sides would break up most northern bound storm winds.

Uh, I have "pole barn" envy....very nice

Wow, a drive-through. That's taking this to a whole new level.

How many cords do you calculate that will hold? Or do you measure in magnitudes of cords? Decacords? Hectocords? Kilocords?

Very nice. Looks like a likely spot to throw a few parties.
I would love something about 1/2 that size in my yard.

There is very little deflection when I walk across it. This is not the stuff you see on barn roofs. My understanding is that it was made to hold wet concrete for parking garages. The post are 4' in the ground with concrete and I used screws for almost all of it. I am not sure what would happen with strong winds but if one of the large pine trees around it fell that would be really bad. I do tend to make my stacks as high as possible to save space so that may help. As for code, I never even gave that a thought. It is way back in my woods and can not be seen from any roads. I just don't know much about that or why it would be a problem.

I wouldn't worry about code either. Looks good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.