Poll Question: Steel or Cast Iron Pellet Stove - Which one do you like? - Cast your vote up top then

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pellet Stove - Which do you like better - Steel or Cast Iron?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I purchased a steel stove because the heat does not radiate very much. I also like the Huge ash pan.

What do you think? Please explain.

My Castile is a combination, of course. Which do we prefer? We can only answer that if we have bought both.

If I were to place a stove for all to see in my living area, It would have to be cast. Style and class!

Cast would look odd in my house, nothing else is that old. Might have looked good 100 yrs ago.

I notice the cast stoves have less tendency to rattle sometimes. Then again, only the al cheapo steel stove rattle. As far as looks go, the new Hearthstone pelet stove in the brown enamel is drop dead beautiful. My all time fav as far as performace is steel. I really dont think with a pellet stove it comes down to much more than what it looks like.

Cast because that is what I have - But it really only cosmetic because the inner workings are steel plate

Great - My stove is a imposter! %-P

Hello

Yes, If I had one upstairs in the living area, cast would be nice. There is a clean LP zero clearance fireplace in the living room already.

However I needed one in the basement that is functional enough to heat the entire house. The heat exchanger tubes are angled upward which also helps my situation. After the basement climbs to 80 degrees it will heat the upstairs to 70. However after I put in the 2 registers with a direct connection to the stove, the upstairs is warm now when the basement hits 76 !! Direct connection to registers makes a huge difference!!

Safe, warm and best of all CHEAP wood pellet stove cozy HEAT !!!

Register shows 150 degree air with direct connection as opposed to 80 degree air with just a register!!!!
Better than a warm air furnace!!!

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 468
  • PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 260sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 260sc.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 467
  • PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 270sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 270sc.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 448
Wifey is all about aesthetics, with that said it had to be cast in our Cape Cod styled home.

I prefer the classic good looks of a cast stove but I do have both.

Hello

Thanks All

Looks like cast iron wins 60 to 40 percent

Status
Not open for further replies.