Poplar anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Scrounged some Maple this morning and saw a clearing operation on the next property. Tons op Poplar. They have it stacked in 10-15 ft trunks, maybe 20 trees up to 24 inches. I want to question the operator on the desintation of the logs, but I am not intereeted in the Poplar. There are a couple of Maples and a Hickory mixed in though.

The maple I took is from a monster, pushing 48 inches across at the base. Got aboiut 5 chuncks, but there is alot left and alot of work to dealing with them. Might haul the splitter over there if nobody else takes it in a week. Just got into some maple in the woodpile today. I can't believe how good that stuff smells when burning! Better than Gramps pipe!

Nothin wrong with poplar.....burns clean and leaves very little ash. I look for it when you just need a small quick fire to take off the chill.

Yea if its Tulip Poplar its real close in BTUs to what I am guessing by trunk diameter you got, is Silver Maple.......Tulip Poplar gets a bad rap. When people say Poplar they think the Poplars of the west coast.......

mywaynow said:
Scrounged some Maple this morning and saw a clearing operation on the next property. Tons op Poplar. They have it stacked in 10-15 ft trunks, maybe 20 trees up to 24 inches. I want to question the operator on the desintation of the logs, but I am not intereeted in the Poplar. There are a couple of Maples and a Hickory mixed in though.

The maple I took is from a monster, pushing 48 inches across at the base. Got aboiut 5 chuncks, but there is alot left and alot of work to dealing with them. Might haul the splitter over there if nobody else takes it in a week. Just got into some maple in the woodpile today. I can't believe how good that stuff smells when burning! Better than Gramps pipe!

We have some Quaking Aspen that I bucked up and split for the 2011 and 2012 heating season. (shoulder season wood)

Zap

Grab it! This pile of Tulip Polar is under 2ft of snow right now... Couldn't get it split in time.

Attachments

• t7.jpg
    t7.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 472
FireAnt said:
Grab it! This pile of Tulip Polar is under 2ft of snow right now... Couldn't get it split in time.

FireAnt, you will get to it after this weekend. :zip:

Zap / Still waiting 4 the warmup

Adios Pantalones said:
48"!!! Manoman- good luck, and stretch before you start

Child's Play......

Don't skip the poplar. Snaps, crackles and pops, but excellent wood.

I will not go out of my way for poplar . . . but I'll take it and burn it if there is one in my way . . . makes good shoulder season wood.

I find that dead poplar, standing or down, is likely to be sort of punky even if it looks OK on the outside. Live cut poplar/aspen is nice wood, in my opinion. Lightweight, fast-burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.