Porcupine house and maybe a trail moose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, so after a hike behind my house I am reminded of why we moved here. Our lot is only a little over an acre, but we abutt many trails that lead into acres and acres of forest. Went out the other day, and snapped a few pics.

Found this little guy cuddled up in his home....saw the home a few days prior, with only some scat in it.

Attachments

• porc1.jpg
    porc1.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 407
  • porc2.jpg
    porc2.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 420
Was about 2 miles from my house, and found some tracks that seemed larger than deer prints...I have seen moose during the summer on my mountain bike on these trails, so I am guessing this is either one of them or a really huge buck? (My ski pole in the first pic for stride reference)

Attachments

• moose1.jpg
    moose1.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 408
  • moose2.jpg
    moose2.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 399
  • moose3.jpg
    moose3.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 391
Last track:

My hand is probably a foot of the ground, so it might look larger than the track being closer to the cam

Attachments

• moose4.jpg
    moose4.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 392
daveswoodhauler said:
Last track:

My hand is probably a foot of the ground, so it might look larger than the track being closer to the cam

Not moose . . . Sasquatch . . . well either that or Quads . . . it's hard to tell the two apart. ;) :) HehHeh.

Nice that you have that Dave. It does look like a moose. Too big for deer.

Sasquatch, thats funny Jake.
Yes, real nice to have all the forest behind our home.....there are so many trails back there I got lost last winter and now have a GPS.
Even printed a topomap for my wife with all the waypoints and trails printed so if I ever got in a jam my wife would know where to send the rescue party :-S

I think you are right about the tracks Dennis....it was right after a snowstorm, so the tracks were pretty fresh and I know that sometimes tracks can look a little larger after a few days of wind and sun on them.

I really want to get one of those trail cams and set it up near a small brook where I see lots of tracks....deer, coyote, bobcat and now moose.

daveswoodhauler said:
Found this little guy cuddled up in his home....saw the home a few days prior, with only some scat in it.
cool!

yea looks like he has some quills. Non petable either way.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
daveswoodhauler said:
cool!

Unless you're walking the dog at the time :wow:

Yeah, no dogs here. Although when I do see folks out in the woods with dogs I explain where the little bugger is.
Actually, when I was out yesterday I saw him and I think he has a rear leg injury :( was in his den and when he started walking his right rear leg was just dragging on the ground, poor little fella

Status
Not open for further replies.