Portable Generator Transfer Switch Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hi There,
I have a portable generator I would like to hook up to my home. My question is this: I have wiring going from my shed to a sub-panel in the garage that I can hook the gen up to. Is there any way to run a transfer switch there, or would it need to be at the main panel of the home?

Thanks,

S

I'm no expert, but yeah, I think you'd need an interlock or transfer switch at the main panel, otherwise your generator power could go beyond the main panel.
I thought I could do something similar with existing wiring to a sub panel in the garage, but I wound up running a wire in the basement to an outlet box on the house.

An Interlock would only work on the main panel, not on the garage sub-panel, right? And what do you mean 'to an outlet box on the house'?

S

VF has it right - you can't go (legally) through the sub-panel, there must be an interlock such that the main breaker has to be open before the generator can supply power.

The expensive way to do this is with a generator transfer panel, or alternatively, they make kits for certain panels that allow you to put a "generator breaker" in a specific position, with an interlocking plate that won't let you turn the generator breaker on w/o turning the main off, and vice versa. You then run a dedicated line from the generator outlet to a box on the outside of the house with a MALE plug on it to connect the generator to (i.e. no 'suicide cord')

This will prevent you from ever trying to power the grid with your generator, and endangering any power co workers...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.